Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Is This True? Why or Why not?

We only have so much time. Kids that have no friends have more time to think by themselves, read and spend time with adults. All this probably makes them "smart".

At least that's my take on it.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:56 AM

I would argue that to define intellignece as simply IQ is wrong. Tne abilty to acquire and use knowledge successfully at the highest level requires some social awareness and abiltiy to relate to people. I could give a rats azz what your IQ is, if youre unable to figure out things socially AT ALL and cant function in society, i aint giving u credit for being too damn smart.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:20 AM

I agree. Knowledge and the ability to solve mental puzzles or reach far in a scientific field does not equate to smart. It equates to being skilled.

The ability to use your skills to reach your goals for yourself and your own in the best way possible, that equates to being smart.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another reason is my theory that many social conventions which are unthinkingly adopted by most people seem ridiculous to smart people (eg saying "bless you" after someone sneezes) so they have to force themselves to do something that is mildly uncomfortable to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, super smart people will view many things differently and have a difficult time connecting with people of average intelligence, but I don't think that (saying "bless you") is a very good example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. Most people who say bless you dont realize that they are warding off evil spirits from entering into your brain/soul at a time when you are unable to defend yourself, i.e. a sneeze. If they realized this, they would probably be embarrassed to say it. So they tell themselves "its just polite." And sure, maybe it is, but its also ludicrous. I would have a hard time saying bless you to anyone without feeling absurd and self-conscious about it.

There are lots of other things that are just like this, social conventions that make absolutely no sense and are absurd, except most people dont know why they exist in the first place. Like, say, tipping. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote: Most people who say bless you dont realize that they are warding off evil spirits from entering into your brain/soul at a time when you are unable to defend yourself, i.e. a sneeze. If they realized this, they would probably be embarrassed to say it.

Bless you is much more than that. It is an expression of concern for another person.

I guess people in former times were able to connect any concern right down to a concern for each other's soul.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Hmm, I always thought bless you was an expression that meant you had the bubonic plague. Some wiki'ing and I see there are claims they don't know where it originates from. The horror of unsolved linguistical puzzles!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Well I've heard what vhawk01 just mentioned also as the reason for saying "bless you." I think the physical basis for this spiritual saying is the fact that your heart stops or misses a beat when you sneeze.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote: Most people who say bless you dont realize that they are warding off evil spirits from entering into your brain/soul at a time when you are unable to defend yourself, i.e. a sneeze. If they realized this, they would probably be embarrassed to say it.

Bless you is much more than that. It is an expression of concern for another person.

I guess people in former times were able to connect any concern right down to a concern for each other's soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Concern? Why? Sneezing isnt painful or really harmful, in fact its pleasurable. And most of the time it doesnt indicate any kind of sickness or disease, just some mild irritation.

In short, you are exactly what I am talking about above. You dont understand the superstitious, silly roots of saying "bless you" and so you fabricate some big thing about politeness and concern so you dont feel dumb.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:44 PM

I have been really awkward about saying "bless you" ever since I was a child and felt embarassed (and potentially offended) that people might think I believed a religion. For the same reason, I have never managed to naturally thank people when they say it to me. I guess people would therefore say IQ correlated with that social skill.

On a broader point, I think IQ can correlate with an appearance of less social skill in a particular case: In a large group meeting at a pub there are often 50%+ of the people there that I cannot be bothered talking too, they just seem mind numbingly lame (115 IQ graduate types with no opinions). So I end up with great rapport with the people I like, but the majority think I was distant/not engaging, or just rude. (Interestingly, I recently found out that this and other traits are now considered symptoms of ADD)
Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Might I offer an alternative.

The german expression gesundheit! (hard g as in golf, e as in Evan -> GESONTHAITT!)

It means 'health!' or 'be healthy!' and it scares people. Win-win.