Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 01:30 PM

Default so my wpx account was hacked last night.

I just have some questions since I'm not too computer savvy. Support told me that whoever hacked my account did it from my ip address (my laptop). If my computer is turned off how is it possible for someone to turn it on, connect to the internet? Support told me it's not their problem since I connected to an unsecured wireless network earlier in the day to play. Which is probably true. Just sucks and I don't really understand how it's possible that someone hacked from my ip address. Any responses would be appreciated. Looks like this guys getting a job
Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: so my wpx account was hacked last night.

[ QUOTE ]
I just have some questions since I'm not too computer savvy. Support told me that whoever hacked my account did it from my ip address (my laptop). If my computer is turned off how is it possible for someone to turn it on, connect to the internet? Support told me it's not their problem since I connected to an unsecured wireless network earlier in the day to play. Which is probably true. Just sucks and I don't really understand how it's possible that someone hacked from my ip address. Any responses would be appreciated. Looks like this guys getting a job

[/ QUOTE ]

Your IP address is not your computer's 'thumbprint'. Rather, it's the 'thumbprint' of the connection source which you're using to get to the internet. In this case, it's probably the wireless connection you were using. So whoever hacked your account didn't need to use your computer. He/she probably used his/her own computer, together with the same wireless connection that you had used. Thus the dangers of leeching off public, unsecured wireless connections....
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an IT admin for a big Chicago company.

Always secure your wireless signal, but even then it can be sniffed. What happened is someone sniffed out your packets and connected. Use Ethernet instead, update your PC with latest updates, scan it daily.

I really don't know what they have earned by using your OWN IP, you must of had a key logger or some sort of vulnerability on your laptop and they connected using your WLAN.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Ouch, you had your entire bankroll on WPX?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Did they chip dump to someone? If so, can support tell you the screen name to whom the chips were dumped?

If not, you have probably 98% of the player base posting regularly here. You could try the WPX thread or the MHSH and see if anyone saw to whom the chips were dumped. That might give you and/or support a place to start in terms of culprits.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always secure your wireless signal, but even then it can be sniffed. What happened is someone sniffed out your packets and connected

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the traffic between theh poker client and poker servers supposed to be encrypted? Isn't that why you can play poker at starbucks with no worries?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Always secure your wireless signal, but even then it can be sniffed. What happened is someone sniffed out your packets and connected

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the traffic between theh poker client and poker servers supposed to be encrypted? Isn't that why you can play poker at starbucks with no worries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but there are ways of decrypting, sniffing etc.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard about the wirless router WEP thing but my understanding is that SSL is basically unhackable and the WEP exploit takes a lot of computer power anyway. bottom line, is it safe to play online at say starbucks or other open wireless networks?

As an aside my web based email is logon ecrypted but once you log in the web page is unencrypted so I guess that means people could read your email but not get your email password.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard about the wirless router WEP thing but my understanding is that SSL is basically unhackable and the WEP exploit takes a lot of computer power anyway. bottom line, is it safe to play online at say starbucks or other open wireless networks?

As an aside my web based email is logon ecrypted but once you log in the web page is unencrypted so I guess that means people could read your email but not get your email password.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, WEP could be easily compromised. Actually WEP is much less secure then WAP and is not recommended for use. It is an obsolete standard...nobody in their right mind uses it anymore.

"Several serious weaknesses were identified by cryptanalysts; a WEP connection can be cracked with readily available software in one minute or less. WEP was superseded by Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) in 2003, followed by the full IEEE 802.11i standard (also known as WPA2) in 2004. Despite its weaknesses, WEP provides a level of security that may deter casual snooping."

I would not play online poker on Wireless.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM

How easily crackable SSL is would depend on whther their software uses 'Trusted Notary' type certificate checking, like Verisign or Thawte to verify that the site they are connected to is actually who they think it is. Chances are, they figured that their protocol was secret enough to not bother and they just self-signed. So someone could 'monkey in the middle' if they were on your wireless network - secured or otherwise. I think the site is to blame here, personally.