Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Default How the heck do I beat this guy?

It's heads up. You raise with overcards and wiff. You c-bet from early position he raises. You c-bet from late position and he c/r's. If you raise he caps, if you call he bets you down. I just started playing on wpex and this seems to be 80% of my heads up situations. TOP says there are two defenses against the c/r bluff either fold or raise. And that often times the right move is to fold. So I started folding a lot to prevent spew and it seems I've put a target on my back. Now every pot I'm in I get c/r. Bet down. Which means big pots when I hit. But that happens rarely. So I've begun just trying to take free cards when possible. However I don't really think this is correct either. COuld I get some helpful advice please this is driving me crazy and killing my roll.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: How the heck do I beat this guy?

I am no great heads up player, but this is how I would handel it... In short play tighter preflop and be more aggressive when you decide to play... you are often in situations where he raises and reraises, and you have nothing, so bluffing this guy is not gonna work... you need to show him a hand... besides he is in a way asking you a question, do you really have something? if you call or īcap it he knows where u stand, if not you fold... eitherway he has the best of you... you need to see how he reacts to raises on 4th and 5th street... If he goes all the way he should be easy to trap since the payoff will be big, but if he can read you well you are up against a good player. Still remember that he should hit the flop only 1/3 of the time so he can't always have it... In short you should avoid putting yourself in difficult situations...
- tighten up preflop
- don't try to bluff someone like that (bluffing only shows profit against weak-tight players) instead check most of your hands and check raise your legitimate hands and occasionally check-raise bluff
-try to play more hands when your in position

hmmmm well this is just my take on it...

-Alex
Old 05-13-2007, 11:24 AM

<disclaimer>I'm no fixed limit expert</disclaimer>, but to say calling is always wrong can't be right. You'll have to chase him down with some weak made hands because it sounds like his valuebet:bluff ratio is easily exploitable.

In most instances, 3-betting and capping against this player might be the wrong play... if he's bluffing very often, you don't want to discourage him from giving away all of his chips by raising to fold his bluffs. Just call his 3-bets and checkraises, giving him hope that you might fold on a later street. However, if he'll keep raising regardless of his cards and the action, I might be tempted to put in a few extra raises on earlier streets with hands as weak as bottom pair, especially on a fairly dry board. While he'll wake up with a rivered second pair or some runner-runner straight from time to time, he'll be in there with rags often enough to make him a big loser against you. He just can't have a decent hand/draw everytime the cards are dealt, so don't fear the scare cards... I'd have to guess that they are what his strategy depends on.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 PM

yea calling is not always wrong, u can call to c/r a later street that will bring u more expected value, also if will be harder for him to read u when ur strong or drawing.