Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Is a Good Screen Name EV+?

I got a picture of Brunel and they still dont respect my raises!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:44 PM

well I tried this. My name on one site is luckygirl69. I really didn't notice a differance in the way people played against me. I got called dowdn a lot. But on this site everyone gets called down a lot. I was only ever hit on once which was funny. And most people knew I was a sausage anyway.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:37 PM

There's a psychological concept of Reactance. Basically ppl, especially younger ones and especially males, like to do the opposite to what they're told.

So I think, if you want masses of calls, an order to fold might be interesting. Similarly if you did want fold at near the money stages, perhaps "Look Me Up!" or "Call Me Down" might stimulate opponents contrainess.

Whilst I think what cards ppl hold dominates most, stack size also comes into consideration. Weak players just will not fold something pretty like A8s or QJs often pre-flop, nevermind the context. Trying to force them off a hand, is rather going against the flow.

If you play TAG, you probably have picked up smallish pots, and haven't become a Chipzilla who's bust so many out that they run for cover. That does mean though, that your chances of doubling up with big pairs are increased though.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Against non-thinking players, I think a good screen name is probably ev+.
I've no doubt I've won some extra bets coz someone called me down light due to my username.
A screen name is part of your table image but I think it's a very small one and it has a short lifespan.
After a couple of orbits or a few pots you've been involved in, I'm sure thinking players will know what sort of player you are.
Having said that, why turn down any edge?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For low buy-in SNGs at least then I think it makes a difference. My Party name is aggressive sounding with the word "Bully" in it whereas my Empire name is "I Love You" in another language. It's pretty clear by looking at the PT stats that my Party name gets spite called way more often than my Empire name.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had this issue, with a clever aggressive seeming Nick, it's great for cash games versus Fish when you want them calling all the more. But around the bubble in a SnG, where most players are too passive, it seems to get me called by lots of raggy Aces & Kings etc. Great when you have a decent pocket pair, or AK (except they seem to spike their Ace (King) far too often!), but it seems to get me being the one in the big clash round the bubble.

Also, they'll decide I probably don't have much, and will PI rather than fold hands like K9,QJ or even J9, which is when you realise AT ain't that far ahead. This seems to happen even if I've been inactive, though showing some big hands does help.

The other players, just seem to get less action at and near the money. So I'm choosing a more Fishy nick in future, that will have a lower profile. You just don't get enough big hands with a decent edge, to make the extra resistance beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about this more and it occurred to me that perhaps a sad and depressing sounding name might make the fish feel sorry for you and spite call less, but as of yet I can't come up with a good one that doesn't seem semi-comical. Any ideas?

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about this more and it occurred to me that perhaps a sad and depressing sounding name might make the fish feel sorry for you and spite call less, but as of yet I can't come up with a good one
Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about....

OnSuicideWatch

OneMonth2Live

InChapter7

O.J.'s Brother

Rosanne Lookalike

DUI B4 I Play

WifeJustLeftMe (although that could be a good thing)

Usedandabused

Needmoney4drugs

There's a few... feel free to use any of them
Old 05-27-2007, 07:01 AM

Usedandabused

Needmoney4drugs

lol good ones I might just use one of them
Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 AM

I believe there might be some EV+ in a SN. But not necesserly an aggressiv or passive one. I think that if your SN is quite "famous", if your like a top pro, and people recognizes your SN they often try and outplay you, in situations they normaly wouldn't. So in that case you will gain som EV+ from those who are seeking braging rights for beating you in this or that hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2007, 12:18 PM

use tyrone the crackhead as your avatar, thank me later...
Old 05-27-2007, 12:57 PM

what sites besides absolute let you use custom avatars?