Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Fashions you love/hate

Okay, looks to me there's a mini 60s revival going on in my part of the world. This morning travelling to work I saw no less than 4 different girls with stuff like lots of mascara, bright pink lipstick, ski pants, bob haircuts. Now, I dig this look way more than the pervasive grungy look that seems entrenched in the teens/twentysomethings, so I am happy.

Alternatively, I saw some tool wearing a baseball cap backwards at work yesterday. At work! And I'm talking a technical person, not the janitor. Ugh. I think he was Danish tho.

This is in England, btw.

Wondered what fashions exist in your part of the world, and what is good/bad/ugly there?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Fashions you love/hate

I love 60's fashions! I'm talking about women's fashions. I've been trying to find some good examples of the types of shirts and dresses that I love that have a 60's look but I'm running out of time. I will try to post some maybe at lunch.

What do you guys and girls think of this style top for women (not for teenagers)? Do we like?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 AM

The first one is very unflattering. The second somewhat less so, but I'm still not a fan of this style in general. I call them maternity shirts.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:39 AM

I walk around Yale for a little exercise after lunch every day. One thing that bugs me is how many of these kids wear flip-flops everywhere. There are even some students temping in my building who wear them to work! WTF?!?!

When did these things become appropriate everyday footwear? Look, if I can see your toenails, you better be at the beach, or a chick in open toed shoes...

Leave the flip flops at home...

Edit: Interestingly, there's a current OOT thread on this subject... linky
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM

I hate them on women. I think the picture speaks for itself on men.
When I was young, long long ago, these were called 'clamdiggers'. Which had a function, your pants did not get muddy if you were clamming barefoot in the mud.
Except for this rare exception for function over form, there is something that just drives me nuts about them. Like the poor kids who outgrew clothes and still had to wear them.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first one is very unflattering. The second somewhat less so, but I'm still not a fan of this style in general. I call them maternity shirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] CRAP.

What about this one? Hate it too?

Old 06-15-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively, I saw some tool wearing a baseball cap backwards at work yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Leave the flip flops at home...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm reading this from work, baseball cap on backwards and toe splitters on my feet. I'm oddly proud of being a walking fashion pet peeve.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:37 PM

Katy,

I think that one's the best of the three. However, the whole style just doesn't do it for me. Those tops do such a good job of hiding your form that I can't help but think that the girl wearing them hates her body, needs a shirt with a whole lot of extra room in it, or both. A baggy man's t-shirt would look better on most girls than that very first of these frumpy pregnancy shirts.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Love: Little frilly white sundress top with vintage jeans.
Love: Business pants suits on women (low cut blouses only though)

Hate: Big sunglasses! So many reasons. Ugly chicks wear them to disguise how hideous they are. So then you check them out, they get an undeserved self esteem boost and you get disappointed when up close. Plus the actually hot chicks that wear them are hard to flirt with cause you can’t make eye contact. Ladies, this is –EV.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Katie, your first pic shows how easily those tops degenerate into looking like frumpy housedresses. The dull color just rubs it in. Everything about this blouse says frump and does nothing to improve the girl wearing it.

I think this kind of blouse is hard to pull off well. The second pic looks SO much better because it is cut tighter and has a vibrant color.