Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Good order of books for novice NLH player?

I've recently decided I'm going to teach my gf how to play nl holdem. She's extremely smart and talented with games in general, but she's a complete novice at poker.

She's going to start reading poker books and I'm not sure what I should start her off with and progress to. What is a good list and progression of books that would be good for someone to read who is going to be learning nlh?

I'm thinking of doing something like this:

1 - Theory of Poker
2 - Harrington v1
3 - Harrington v2
4 - Harrington v3
5 - NLH Theory + Practice

Should I add/remove any other books to this que?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Good order of books for novice NLH player?

If tourneys then that looks fine, tho I'd move TOP above HOH and let her start with HOH1

If cash, then PNL bears mention ... and then The Pr0crast Anthology is nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 PM

id say go to a book store and read the NL section in supersystems, its the firs thing ive ever read abou NLH and really helped me. Then id say read Theory of poker, then a book 100% dedicated to NLH play.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM

I'm also having a person self-teach herself. She is equally talented in games and has 145 IQ. Here is the order that I recommend:

1 - No Limit Texas Holdem (beginner series) by Daugherty and McEvoy. Mason gave this a score of 8 out of 10. Even more simple than Getting Started in Holdem.

2 - TOP. Teaches fundamentals well.

3 - HOH I and II. From fullhanded to heads up.

4 - Poker Tournament Formula. Gives appreciation for the importance of position.

5 - Professional Nolimit. Great deepstack theory

6 - NLHTP. Same as above.

The following books will give her an appreciation and awareness that many styles can make money:

7 - Lindgren's book

8 - Brunson's NLH chapter

9 - Kill Phil
Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

9 - Kill Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

... can be skipped if she's actually going to learn to play, but it's something that can be thrown in if she likes reading poker books.

I think your list in the OP is a great way to start off.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 PM

A novice would probably find Theory of Poker very dry, and also feel weird about the fact that it keeps switching games. Your goal, I presume, is merely to stoke interest in playing and reading a second book?

It's been awhile for me but I think HoH was entertaining because it had all those examples. I would recommend something by Ed Miller earlier because he writes in an interesting manner. If Getting Started in Hold'em is too simple then maybe SSHE which is just such a good book even though it's limit. Or maybe just his website. Theory and Practice is out for the same reasons as Theory of Poker.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:12 PM

My first poker book was HoH1 and it was a great primer. At the time, I barely knew if quads beat a boat, etc. so a complete nOOb can pick it all up starting right with HoH. (Presuming tournaments are an interest.)
Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 AM

Maybe this is a bit out of line, but I think I would start her out as a limit player.

start out with holdem poker and then small stakes. once she has ~10k hands under her belt and she is winning then switch to NL theory and practice.

i found nltp to be much more useful than professional no limit.

the thing is, you NEED experience in analyzing opponents and situations than you could never ever get from a book.. and imo its much easier to turn a nub into a winning player in limit than nl.. and she may as well be winning while gaining experience.

get her to read those limit books, and if bankrolls don't permit 2/4 or 3/6 at the local card room.. hit the microstakes online.

i'm assuming this will all be cash games of course, HOH is a good place to start if tournaments are the main goal. btw i think thats a bad idea
Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 AM

What about phil gordons books? I only read his "little green book", but its great if u dont like theory. Its not a book u read as a start, wanting to read 10 others. But if u only want to read 1 or 2 and dont want to be a pro playing 4 tables against tough players, just better then most in ur homegame and better then most lowlimit players, this one is good.

Theory of poker should be read when u want to learn to think about poker, not when u want to learn a certain form of poker, like No Limit Holdem. It was great when Holdem Poker for Advanced Players was the oply really wellwritten book about limit poker and it was hard to find substantial material on NL, but now... nope, read it when u start to like to read pokerbooks.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently decided I'm going to teach my gf how to play nl holdem. She's extremely smart and talented with games in general, but she's a complete novice at poker.

She's going to start reading poker books and I'm not sure what I should start her off with and progress to. What is a good list and progression of books that would be good for someone to read who is going to be learning nlh?

I'm thinking of doing something like this:

1 - Theory of Poker
2 - Harrington v1
3 - Harrington v2
4 - Harrington v3
5 - NLH Theory + Practice

Should I add/remove any other books to this que?

[/ QUOTE ]

For cash games, first, have her read Ed Millers 7 Steps to NL Success on the NPA Website.

Then have her read PNL.

Then PLNLP by Ciaffone/Reuben.

Finally, NLTAP.