Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 AM

Default Motorcycles

I just started riding my motorcycle again. I don't have anything interesting to say about it because I'm pretty much a beginner (about 2000 miles).

I do wonder, however, what people have to say about safety issues. It seems to me that every time I hear about a crash, the motorcyclist had a lot to do with it. Speeding, recklessness, etc...

When I ride I always assume I'll be cut off by the car in front of me and that people will be running red lights. And frequently I'm right. Being prepared has, for now, prevented these occurrences from causing trouble for me.

I guess what I'm asking is if people think that the safety issues really do make this a stupid form of recreation, and that despite my caution, I'm just asking for trouble?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Motorcycles

i used to really want a motorcycle, but the risk is just so high. even if we assume that motorcyclists get into wrecks w/ the same frequency as drivers (which i doubt is true but idk), they are still far less likely to walk away from the accidents. it seems like if you ride consistently it is only a matter of time before you get into an accident, and if you get into an accident there is a very high risk of death. i've ridden a few times and wouldn't mind joy-riding occasionally, but i don't see myself doing cross country road trips or anything like that.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:11 AM

I'm about at the same level as you, although I haven't ridden mine in months.

The safety thing bugs me too, and sometimes I think to myself that I've had a good run and I should quit when I'm ahead. I purposely limited myself to a bike that can't handle highway speeds for this reason as well.

But then you see the video of that guy that got hit starting at a green light (car behind him decided to pull around him and caught his mirror), thrown under a dump truck, barely survived and now has no legs.

But life is risk, so it's worth it if you love it. I say if you don't rely on it for a primary means of transportation, only ride under good conditions, and do the easy stuff like get good safety equipment, then it's not a stupid form of recreation.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:31 AM

MINUS:
The most dangerous thing about motorbiking are terrible car drivers. You have to make definite allowances for cars because they are way less attentive to what's going on, but also have the sensory deprivation you get from sitting inside something (lack of all round view etc). But even then, there are some awful drivers who actually see bikes and don't adjust accordingly. I've seen a guy waiting at a sidestreet, even made eye contact (I'm on bike, he's in car btw), and he stills pulls out straight across me!??!

I used to ride a big bike (Kawasaki ZZR1000, I think it was called a Ninja in America), but got into a serious head on collision whilst riding at the speed limit, on my side of the road, in broad daylight, good conditions, with my lights on, and wearing a fluorescent vest, and still an idiot drove into me in a head on (she pulled from a sidestreet onto the wrong side of the road straight into me) because, she said, 'I didn't see you'. Luckily I didn't brake at all and somersaulted straight over the top of the car and landed on my ass, and got away with a minor knee injury and impact wounds/stitches only (where you hit the ground so hard your skin splits - strangely at the front of my legs, even though I hit the ground with ass/backs of legs) - no breakages. Very lucky for me. (she got convicted of dangerous driving).

Never got on a bike since, but lord I miss it.

PLUSES:

Biking is a pleasure. You have to engage and concentrate so fully, and experience things so immediately, it is deeply relaxing. I miss the pleasure of riding, I miss the sudden temperature drop as you ride so you think 'oh hitting a cold front, it's gonna rain in a minute', and I miss the hitting a bend just right and letting the machine work with you to get around it and bring you out safely, and I miss the acknowledgement and camaradarie you get with other bikers.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 AM

U have 2 tell us what u ride. If u are a harley guy, your risk is diff from a GSX rider.

Take the motorcycle safety course. Go to the track. PRACTICE all the breaking methods so it's a reflex. Always wear the right gear/colors. Cover your legs and arms even if just thin. DONT RIDE DRUNK or TIRED/Low sleep. Feel free to pass cars on highway the further they are from u the better. But when u lane split, the guy on right must be further back than guy on left. Most motorcycle accidents happen at low speeds and will only hurt ur butt pride and bike. They are usually the rider's fault. Most people don't put in enough training hours to be astute to the many more risks.

Is it worth the risk? If u don't die/get really banged up it is I don't think a married w/ children guy should ride aggressive bikes though. Cycling is an expensive luxury if done properly. Having good friends who ride safe makes it even more fun. And chicks LOVE it.

I ride this in yellow.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Here's the bike I used to ride:

http://dvmoto.ru/images/kawasaki_img...lack_ideal.jpg

Man, she was sweet. It could be like sitting on a missile, and the faster you went, the harder she accelerated. I never ever topped her out.

Got her to 140mph, two up, one time. That's scary, every little stone makes the tires lift for a microsecond, and the broken white line turns solid.

Another time, after a winter of safe riding, I realised I was riding her like an old man, and going downhill, I opened her up - she popped a wheelie on accelerator alone! Going downhill! That's some awesome powerage.

I miss my dead bike.

*Sigh*
Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 AM

Damn diebitter. That bike looks insane. Looks sort of like what my boyfriend rides. He's a menace.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When I ride I always assume I'll be cut off by the car in front of me and that people will be running red lights. And frequently I'm right. Being prepared has, for now, prevented these occurrences from causing trouble for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mat,

I don't ride a street bike but I'm in love with a guy who does. I have an opinion on this issue.

First, what I quoted is probably the most important aspect of riding. If you are of this frame of mind (that you could be cut off by a car) then you will probably be fine. Most accidents are caused by the inexperience of the driver - going too fast on a curve or hitting a rough spot in the road is what kills a lot of young riders.

In the area where I live we've had 4 fatalities in the past year that were not the fault of the cyclist. Just be really careful and especially aware of what's going on all around you. You wouldn't believe how often people say they didn't notice the bike coming up along side them.

That said, I always caution girls not to ride on the back of a motorcycle. I used to do it but I won't anymore unless we are just puttsing around in our subdivision or on our friend's farm. I won't go on the interstate anymore. It's one thing to be the driver in control of the bike, another thing alltogether to be precariously seated on the back of some dude's bike with nothing holding you on and a maniac at the helm. Scary!

btw, my boyfriend is a maniac on a bike. Ever since he was 13 he's lived for riding. It's probably what he's most talented at. He owns something like 7 different kinds of bikes. He's wiped out a few times. Alcohol was involved every single time. Don't go over to your buddy's house and get drunk off your ass and then decide to ride wheelies up and down the highway to show off for them. Don't do that Mat. Just my 0.02.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't go over to your buddy's house and get drunk off your ass and then decide to ride wheelies up and down the highway to show off for them. Don't do that Mat. Just my 0.02.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 AM

Mat,
I started riding at 33. With a wife and two young children I'm sure you can imagine how poorly this went over! I try to take the same approach you mention. I basically assume that any vehicle I am sharing the road with may do the least favorable thing for me at any moment and try to be as best prepareed for it as I can.

There are some interesting numbers you can check out as far as crashes, etc. You are far less likely to be involved in a fatal crash if you
a) Are riding a 'cruiser' rather than a sport bike
b) Are a licensed rider as opposed to just having a permit

I'm not sure where you live, but I can tell you that living in the NYC area riding can be quite a challenge at times. The main thing to remember is that you are NOT in a car! There is not a single documented case of motorcycle vs. car where the motorcycle wins! When someone is doing something dangerous just get out of their way and let them go on their merry way.

Enjoy the ride!