Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: \"Delay\" by the iMEGA Judge means nada, zilch, zip ...

[ QUOTE ]
If the judge was going to dismiss the lawsuit, then she would have by now. Why wait and deliberate this long?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because she's busy? And her clerks have mountains of other motions they need to decide before this one?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Default The line will not move, the delay means zero ...

or 100 other reasons.

However, ignore all those and look at what Skall wrote, the iMEGA filings were a classic kitchen sink and hodgepodge. Even if the case were ripe for dismissal, it would take a long time to address each item.

I will stand by my guess.

(JP, The ONLY shot the Plaintiffs have here is that the Court may will be subsilentio pissed off about the Proposed Regs coming out the next day, with no mention by Justice that was in the works. Hence a 5% shot at leave to amend. All that would get these Plaintiffs however is a chance to amend and try again with real named plaintiffs having a concrete case in controversy .... such as the PPA members ????)
Old 11-04-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: The line will not move, the delay means zero ...

I do not disagree with Skall very often. But I do disagree with his, and Milton's, description of iMEGA's case. It is a prayer for an injunction against enforcement of the UIGEA and the Wire Act against Internet gambling. The request for preliminary injunction is only to injoin enforecment of the UIGEA and its regulations. iMEGA has several arguments in support of its requested relief. Chief among them is that a private citizen has the right of privacy under the US constitution to engage in Internet gambling in his or her home and these laws infringe on this right of privacy without any government rationale. iMEGA also argues that these laws are overbroad because they infringe on someone's right to engage in a form on Internet gambling who lives in a state where such form is legal; even though that form might be legal in another state. iMEGA also argues that these laws must be interpreted to not conflict with the WTO decision on Internet gambling.
I do agree that the standing issue may be a weakness of the iMEGA position. But I still believe that if the judge had decided to dismiss the case due to lack of standing, she would have by now. I could of course be wrong. But Milton, IMO you are placing too much emphasis on the present lack of a named plaintiff. iMEGA has alleged that affiliates of Internet gambling sites are members of it. This may have solved the standing problem.
The delay past the judge's stated time period, which didn't mean much, could be due to having to examine each argument of the iMEGA and now the proposed regulations. So, yes, even if standing was not fatal, it could take some time to examine and reject each argument. But IMO, even if the judge thinks iMEGA's case is weak on the merits, she would still likely let it proceed to discovery and trial on the merits. IMO what the judge may be considering is whether a preliminary injunction is merited. After all even if the judge thought that iMEGA's case was strong, the judge might be pondering whether iMEGA has demonstrated any irreparable harm or other cause that requires a preliminary injunction.
IMO the odds of a dismissal is only 25% (clearly iMEGA thinks that it is less), but odds of granting the request for Preliminary Injunction I put at only 10%. Granting a preliminary injunction would almost end the case in iMEGA's favor and may not be necessary to prevent irreparable damage. So IMO the most likely scenario is that the judge grants no relief at this time and the case proceeds to discovery and maybe a trial on whether a final injunction should be issued.
If the judge doesn't really want to rule either way, then this method delays the case until the WTO takes action on Antiqua's request for sanctions and may delay it past WTO arbitration on all the compensation claims for US withdrawal from its WTO internet gambling commitments. The judge may decide to let these events play out because they may make the whole case moot. Wouldn't be the first time that I have seen a trial judge punt on a difficult and controversial case. I even have personal experience with that outcome although in a MO state court. Heck maybe the judge will wait until after November 30, the date that the WTO is to rule on Antiqua's request for IP sanctions.
Anyway I doubt that any two good lawyers agree on any part of this case, the apparent delay in the decision or any part of the outcome. I have read many numerous opinions and I doubt that one is a more valid prediction than another. So this post is just my opinion which is no more, or less, valid than Skall's or Milton's. I'll wait until the judge releases some decision before commenting further.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM

General question: which side does the delay in issuing a preliminary injunction favor?

my thought would be the party seeking the injunction is favored in that a defendant may not want to act while the court is considering enjoining their activity. kind of a pocket injunction. or is that line of reasoning naive?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM

If the Defendant is strangling the Plaintiff or otherwise causing the Plaintiff harm, then delay always favors the Defendant.

An injunction is a requeat to the Court to make the Defendant stop doing something, its delay never helps the Plaintiff.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Yeah, but I don't see what the Defendant is doing that causes much harm to the Plaintiff. This is one reason why I think that most likely outcome is a denial of all motions and setting of deadlines for discovery and final trial setting.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: A question for the lawers

Skall, a couple of questions:

[ QUOTE ]
That poker is not illegal as a matter of Federal law is now pretty well accepted thanks to the Mastercard case inthe 5th Circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will a simple search/google find the details of this case, or would you need to point me (as a non-lawyer)?

[ QUOTE ]
(is a poker site in the "business" of betting and wagering when it obviosly does not bet or wager itself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that the various betting "clearinghouses" are built around the assumed answer of NO to this question.

Is it a legitimate legal argument to make that the facilitator and controller of a gambling interaction, who profits by fee from that transaction, is not in the business of gambling?

[ QUOTE ]
they want the banks to guess at the answers, which may or may not be worse for us, depending on the final regulation specifics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this make you very nervous, depending on banks and other financial institutions (especially those with connections or business interests tied to fed gov't approval) to make aggressive or liberal interpretations of vague regulations?

I would expect them to default to the conservative CYA stance that would most protect them, not the freedoms of others. Banks are rarely trailblazers.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: A question for the lawers

I dont have the cite for the mastercard case handy - its been posted on the web a few times though, link to come later if someone else doesnt give it.

On the "business of betting and wagering" thing, its new question under the law, so what the courts would ultimately rule is a guess. But certainly it can at least be argued that only sites that provide house-banked games or take sports bets are in the business of betting, 'cause they are the only ones who are actually engaging in betting with the player. This is one of many arguments as to why the UIGEA does not apply to poker-only sites.

And yes, as you will find discussed in the thread on comments to the regs, banks over-blocking is the undeniable major threat to us from the UIGEA.

Skallagrim