Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Play Poker like a pigeon

or something like that....Has anyone read this. I heard some people at Borgata talking about how great it is.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Play Poker like a pigeon

i see this book at store, but i haven't looked at it ever (or for a long time).....

basically book now needs to be no-limit for me to look.

i wonder what the pigeon aspect is... i was thinking get in there making a pest of yourself and picking up pots and then fly away when others play back at you (like negreanu's jab-jab-jab-backoff, or tons of guys "changing gears")
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 AM

If I understand the back cover correctly the basic premise is to make yourself look like you play worse then you actually do. This will force people to make incorrect adjustments to you which in turn will lead directly to more money. So in a sense it is trying to make you into some sort of poker hustler.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 AM

I looked at the book briefly, it reminded me of the horrible No Fold'em Hold'em series by D.R. Sherer, one of the worst strategy books ever released which provided so much wrong advice that it was surly a method of going broke in the long run. Sherer's advice was to play any two low cards because everyone else at the table is playing high cards - and this will make you look like an idiot and you will lose lots of small pots, but it will also let you build big pots when you do win. My understanding from briefly reading through Play Poker like a pigeon at the store was that its the same mentality. I hope many people love this book if that is true, because the games will become even easier to play and more profitable!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Seriously, this is one of the worst books I've ever read. I want a refund on my time. Besides being a complete tool, the author just gives studpid bone-head advise. His writing style is soooo annoying and just bad. I think the real reason he chose not to put his name on the book is because it is so bad. Basically author wants to teach you how to make alot of money while not being known and being percieved as a fish, while not too bad of an idea, the execution of said thesis is horrible. Among other things author insults Sklansky's playing style and says that anyone who plays by "the numbers" is throwing their money away. I threw away $15 on this book and strongly suggest that nobody else dose. At some points the author is clearly trying to come across as funny, (kinda like Vince Burgio in Pizza, Pasta, and Poker) but it just doesn't work. This book was truly terrible, save your money.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM

PP FTW
Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM

I would not call it a great book, but I found it quite an enjoyable read, with many amusing anecdotes.

As for insulting Sklansky, I didn't read it that way. In fact I think it's just the opposite, he seems to have alot of respect for and says everyone should read Sklansky.

This book should not be compared to the no fold em books. It is very different. He only recommends deviating from "Sklansky like" play in certain situations, and making sure everyone sees what you are doing, so they will see you as a pigeon.

If you go into it thinking he is going to reveal some magic formula, as the cover seems to imply, you will be disappointed. But seriously I thought it was a pretty damn good read and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:54 PM

no magic book, as dave88 said, some funny stories. What I didn't like the most was that the author was very condesending to any reader of the book, beginner or expert player.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 PM

This is a terrible book. The author tries to support his reasoning with math...regretfully, the author cannot, apparently, do math.

These utterly erroneous statements of "fact" hurt his credability beyond repair.

I really WANTED to like this book but...
Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 PM

I can't apparently edit my posts on the forum so I'm going to have to create my addendum as a second post, sorry.

Anyway, this in no way excuses the book, but it is worth mentioning that the author does not advocate "no fold em hold em" since he states right away that you should only continue with 2 pair or trips and dump the hand otherwise. The issue I have with it, is that he makes outrageous claims such as, the odds of flopping either trips or 2 pair is, if memory serves, 1 in 13. NO, no it isn't. I think it's closer to 1 in 27.

Now, in low limit games where everyone and their mother limps in, there could be some grounds for playing any two cards since you can still dump the hand if you get nothing, but if you flop even bottom pair, with a board that isn't too scary, and you have several opponents, it *could* be correct to draw to 2 pair or trips.