Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: first book to buy

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

This may not be the bible of NL, but it's pretty darn close...
Old 09-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Wow, I've never seen that link before but it looks chalked full of goodness
Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM

yeah seriously dont bother with NL books - its not like limit and there are very few good volumes (~0).

the anthology/stickies will be cheaper and better for your game than any books you can buy for sure.

and i say this as someone sat by a shelf with all 3 HOHs, both phil gordons, book of bluffs, both super systems, onlince ace (fischman), caros book, TOP, NLHTAP,TPFAP, championship holdem (mcevoy) and play poker like the pros (hellmuth -LOL at that book).

i really feel books arent the way to go.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 PM

worth saying the book of bluffs is a good read and TOP/NLHTAP are the best of the ones i own.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but honestly his material is great

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmm ... right ... errrm
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 PM

BOok of bluffs is good eh?

Can anyone second that I was accually looking at it?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BOok of bluffs is good eh?

Can anyone second that I was accually looking at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont get me wrong its not a good theory book about NLH poker in general but it is a good read and got a few points over about that particular facet of the game that i had had difficulty getting to grips with intuitively.

TOP + NLTP are the two i found improved my game the most but really they arent that fabulous.

may want to try PNL as that seems to have been well received on 2p2.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I read the book of bluffs. Its just illustrates how a good level 3 or level 4 level thinking is very valuable. Then it describes a lot of situations where it applies, but thats against thinking opponents. I.e. Not 50NL and below.

HOH1-3 are all good. TOP, NLTP are great. I would say SSNL for AP (the red book) is good too because of the math and starting hands, but if you read mathematics of poker its just as good.

Phsycology of Poker is good if you are going to be playing live.

My first book was Super System 2, and i haven't read it in a few years, but i remember it being decent.

pr0cast's anthology is great to be honest. Much more applicable to the 6max games, and covers some important topics more in depth than i've found in a lot of those books. So read the books, and read the posts, and then reread the posts.

I will say that my reading comprehension is fairly high, and only after reading each book more than once did i start picking up on a lot of the really good points of the books. So read them like text books and no leisure books.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I will say that my reading comprehension is fairly high, and only after reading each book more than once did i start picking up on a lot of the really good points of the books. So read them like text books and no leisure books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree with you more, if you read them as leisure books you will get lost you really need to focus on every detail.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Welcome for link.

I used to play limit, and have to say that you aren't going to find the same textbook kind of stuff for NL as you did in limit. There just aren't any NL books that are awesome & eye opening. I've read Theory & Practice as well as Green Book when starting out, and found the former too theoretical, and the latter just common sense. Mathematics of poker is like reading chinese, but if you can understand it, supposedly it's really good.

Can't comment on PNL, as I haven't gotten around to it yet. From threads on it though, it does look like the best one so far, that actually deals with beyond-elementary concepts.

I used to play limit before switching to NL this year, and I went through the same thing you are doing looking for books and stuff. In limit, SSHE, HEFAP, winning in tough games, & Slotsboom book on drawing hands are all you need. I reread those like 1K times and used to wonder why 2p2 forums were so popular, since every single concept you really ened to know can be found in them books.

NL literature is nonexistent compared to limit. Your best bet is to follow the link I gave you, and read all those threads, as well as all the well posts, and all the stickies in the SSNL forum.