Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Thank you for kicking the sh*t out of ND!

Les Miles will give you exactly what Gary Moeller and Lloyd Carr gave you--in other words, a team that could dominate 80s era football.

Miles knows how to use superior talent and conservatively bludgeon opponents. When push comes to shove, however, that style just doesn't get it done.

For example, LSU had 6 possessions inside the Auburn half of the field last year, but only mustered 3 points. Auburn just stacked up against middle runs and LSU was helpless.

Miles, to his credit, made his best move this season in hiring Gary Crowton at offensive coordinator. However, he is screwing it up. Instead of trusting Crowton, he is playing multiple offenses whose philosophies conflict. I think this will lead to disaster whn LSU finds themselves in a tough game.

Miles, also, will not be a good recruiter at Michigan. Unlike LSU, Michigan needs to reach far and wide throughout the country for recruits. Like it or not, the big11ten has gotten their asses kicked in recruiting the last 5 years or so and it shows. There just aren't enough players out of Ohio and Western Pennsylvania to support the entire conference. Hell, there isn't enough to support the teams at the top anymore even with all the rest the midwest offers. Though it's tough, the only way to win is to go in the backyards of California, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina and come out with some players.

While Miles seems ok so far at LSU. It's because a blind monkey can recruit at LSU--just lock up the state, get a few from the Texas close to the Louisiana border, and grab some from the Mississippi Gulf area. This area is stocked. Just a 4 hour radius gives 2 to 3 times the players as the same 4 hour radius around Ann Arbor.
The big11ten hates to admit it, but the population changes in the US in addition to the increased athleticism and work put in down south has made midwest football a dying breed.

From everything I've read, Miles just isn't good enough to overcome obstacles like that. He has to go into Ohio and compete well against Ohio State for kids and then reach across the nation for everyone else.

One has to get the thoroughbreads.

The name on the helmut doesn't mean as much anymore. Coaches have to recruit.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Miles will goto Michigan.

From the Michigan side:
he's a Michigan man, but still an outside presence in some way
he has maintained LSU as a BCS contender in the toughest conference year-in and year-out

from Miles' side:
He's starting to get his ass kicked for players by Saban
he can go to Michigan and ride out mediocre success like Carr did for a decade
it's 'his' school
LSU fans have been ruthless on Miles for the lack of wins the last few years and for not being Saban
Old 09-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I figure Les will go if offered. Coaches bolt all the time after saying "I have no interest in going"...and Miles said far less than that (mostly something like "we're not going to talk about that right now" which sure screams "I'm going" in coach-speak). I wouldn't be horrified by him but I'd rather we contact Tedford, Rodriguez, Schiano et al and go for them first. No idea if they'd be interested but it's a top job and Martin will open the checkbook if his past hires are an indication (Belein, extension for Maloney).

Upside on Miles is he's at least hired top assistants. That's Carr's damning fault, IMO: he's had crappy assistants his whole tenure. Bo had great assistants who went on to coach as successful head coaches. Lloyd's had DeBord (failed at CMU) and Brady Hoke at Ball State. Ugh.

On the upside (for me, not you) Michigan has been able to recruit very well nationally. New guy has to be able to keep that up.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Tedford would be the guy I'd go after
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM

MT2R - What about Sarkisian? Seems like he'd be a good target as well. Good resume from a winning program. Young guy that can be there for awhile. Even though SC's offense is explosive, its still somewhat conventional and not a radical shift to the spread. Should fit will with the existing talent (esp. Mallett).
Old 09-17-2007, 12:34 AM

Sarkisian is also a great potential hire
Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 AM

The guy who should get a look for any job, not just Michigan, is Charlie Strong--amazed Mr Strong doesn't have a head coach spot yet

That has me thinking, the other defensive coordinator at Florida, Greg Mattison, is a 'Michigan Man' as well---he might be an off the radar guy that could be good, but obviously has a less proven resume