Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Flabbergasted in Colma: String Bet Survey

I'm confused. Why didn't OP just say "I bet $200" and then move his or her chips out? Because OP hates money?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been called for a string bet by a person not in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you string bet often?

I actually have no problem if another person calls a string bet IF it was clearly a string bet. You seem unwilling to say whether you clearly string bet (by accident I hope) or if it was a nit picking detail that caused the string bet (such as you dropped a few chips when moving your bet forward).
Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't see what's wrong with someone not in the hand calling this. This isn't table talk, it's a rules issue. Is it wrong for another player to alert the dealer if you have a wrong-denomination chip in your bet (i.e. bet "$40" with seven fives and a one)?

[/ QUOTE ]

The string bet rule is there to protect the other players in the hand. What if OP's opponent had the nuts and wanted OP to bet as much as he could?

-McGee
Old 06-01-2007, 02:21 PM

A string bet is a string bet and can be called by anyone, although typical behavior is to keep your mouth shut if you aren't personally involved in the hand. By the time a player reaches the middle limits, minding your own business becomes the custom, but it is by no means a rule.

The universal exceptions to this are when the rules infraction is especially egregious and undermines the fairness of the game (i.e., an obvious angle-shoot by a player the rest of the table is sick of), or the offending player's action hurts an obviously poor player who may leave the game with hurt feelings, but will continue to play if they get a ruling in their favor. This is called "not killing the goose that lays the golden eggs," and I've seen this happen a few times when strong players defend weak players (or more technically, "weak players' money") against the play of other strong players, in the hopes that they will ultimately get this money for themselves. Probably no comfort, but it's a backhanded compliment if another player saw fit to attack your bet as a string bet, especially if it wasn't.

My archive search-fu isn't working today, but there was a good thread a few years back called "Juicing your floorman." Like arguing a call with an umpire in a baseball game, the object of juicing a floorman isn't to influence a current decision, it's to get the benefit of the doubt in a future decision, especially where the circumstances are gray and open to interpretation. I wasn't at your table so I have no idea if you made a string bet or not, but in cases where it comes down to your word against that of another player, it never hurts to be on excellent terms with your floor person.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been called for a string bet by a person not in the hand. Hence the "FLABBERGASTED" I wouldn't have minded if my opponent had called the string bet. Capiche?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have also never been called for a string bet by someone not in the hand. This could have something to do with the fact that I have never string bet.

BTW, your opponent did call you on the string bet, and you still minded. Hence, your statement above is false.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 PM

Your first problem is being flabbergasted at anything that happens in a card room. If a player not in the hand calling a string bet is enough to astonish you to the point of screaming at the person and then going home to write about how deeply you were wronged, then maybe you should find another hobby.

Also, stop string betting. Rule #2 is Protect Your Hand. At all times. At the end of the day, you can't control other people, but you can control yourself. The root of the problem here is you.