Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Video player shows as black when transferred to TV

So I'm streaming a video feed through my computer. When I connect it to the TV with an S-video cable, and change the output to the television, everything that's on the computer screen shows up fine on the TV, except for the video window, which shows up as black.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Video player shows as black when transferred to TV

when you say "video feed" do you mean from an external video input? If so...I'd guess you have an ATI all-in-wonder card and you're SOL. As far as the computer is concerned, external feeds actually ARE black windows. The displaying is done via hardware tricks in the vid card. (same thing happens if you take a screen shot)
Old 12-02-2006, 10:34 PM

Not sure exactly what you're doing but let me throw my 2 cents in here. Often I will play a DVD in my laptop (say in a hotel room) and I'll want to watch it on the tv. Hooking the S-video into the tv will do just as you say...display my screen but a black box where the video is. I've fought this and fought this.

The ONLY thing I've found to work (most of the time) is the play the DVD in Media Player and in Media Player go to Tools > Options > Performance and then lower the "Video Acceleration" slider to none, from full. Usually that will solve the problem. Hope that helps. If not...sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure exactly what you're doing but let me throw my 2 cents in here. Often I will play a DVD in my laptop (say in a hotel room) and I'll want to watch it on the tv. Hooking the S-video into the tv will do just as you say...display my screen but a black box where the video is. I've fought this and fought this.

The ONLY thing I've found to work (most of the time) is the play the DVD in Media Player and in Media Player go to Tools > Options > Performance and then lower the "Video Acceleration" slider to none, from full. Usually that will solve the problem. Hope that helps. If not...sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's probably because of macrovision, and it's designed to do that. maybe the stream has some sort of DRM?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm streaming a video feed through my computer. When I connect it to the TV with an S-video cable, and change the output to the television, everything that's on the computer screen shows up fine on the TV, except for the video window, which shows up as black.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

you using the "cloned" setting but you havent' set you tv as the primary display.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:40 PM

FYI...Whatever the problem was, the solution of going to the web page and loading the video through the RealPlayer internet browser worked to fix it.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI...Whatever the problem was, the solution of going to the web page and loading the video through the RealPlayer internet browser worked to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but NO the solution never involves using real player. Play with your agp card's config a bit more and you will see that when cloning you are able to set one output to primary display (this is where the video shows up) and secondary (this is where you will get the blank screen in the video window).

Then answer is NEVER EVER real player wtf!!!