Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 AM

Default $31 or $131

You organize a get-together at a sports bar to watch a college sporting event...~150 people the bar would never have there on Friday night.

The owner brings you a beer on the house during the night to show his thanks.

Your group of 4 runs up a tab of $131.

The waitress brings you a credit card slip to sign that says $31.

Sign and leave or say something?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:18 AM

Default Re: $31 or $131

Why would the owner take off 100$ but not the full amount, looks like it was a mistake to me.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:18 AM

If you ever intend on coming back, the owner is almost sure to remember you. Future drinks on the house > saving $100 now.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would the owner take off 100$ but not the full amount, looks like it was a mistake to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wants to know if its okay for him him to screw them out of $100 since he filled the bar. I voted no.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm well aware. That's my point. It was completely rung up by the waitress and everything. The owner wasn't doing me any favors past the free beer.

My question was weather you take advantage of the mistake or point it out.

Also, this isn't a place where I'm a regular. The owner doesn't really know me, and will probably never know if I made good on the mistake, and will only come across me again the 2 more times over the next year where I organize a group again.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:43 AM

In this situation I'd tell them. In a chain restaurant when they forget to put on a drink or even an entree, I don't say anything, but will keep it in mind for the tip.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:44 AM

Pretty simple, I think, If you have a moral problem with it, like you won't be able to sleep at night, then yes. Otherwise if you go there a lot tell em, if you don't [censored] it, freeeeeeee drinks.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 AM

If you were getting hooked up, the boss would have come over and said something. Since he didn't, it was a mistake by the waitress. The best way to handle it would have been to go to the boss and mention the mistake. One of two things will happen. He will thank you for mentioning it, and may well say don't worry about it. Or he will correct the problem, but realize you are a stand up guy and will be much more accomadating next time you bring a large group in. So you could set yourself up for more free [censored].

Also, since you are bringing 150 people into a bar, why not set this up in advance? You could have gotten better deals for everyone involved.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 AM

It's a place I really only go 2 or 3 times a year because they have the satellite package which carries my alma mater's hockey games.

I saw the $31 and pointed it out the waitress. She came back with another credit card receipt for $100, so I thought she was cutting us a break for pointing out the error. Then 2 seconds later I realized that was in addition to the original receipt.

Kinda sucked to point it out and not have it recognized in anyway. Oh well. Hopefully karma will bring it back to me one day.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You organize a get-together at a sports bar to watch a college sporting event...~150 people the bar would never have there on Friday night.

The owner brings you a beer on the house during the night to show his thanks.

Your group of 4 runs up a tab of $131.

The waitress brings you a credit card slip to sign that says $31.

Sign and leave or say something?

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the owner like? Was he a nice guy trying to run a bar where people could have a good time along with him making a good profit as well?

Or was he a guy where you were a little offended by his "generosity" of giving you one free beer for all the business you brought him for the night? If it were me, I would rather he not given me attention at all, rather than giving me a free pint.

In my mind, a "sports bar" is a decent-sized place that brings in a lot of clientele on a regular basis, but the way you talk indactes that a genuinely nice guy runs the place, it's not that big, and that he gave you the beer as a sincere gesture of appreciation.

In that case, I'd correct the mistake and pay up no problem. If it were a Scores or something, F-em.