FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: What is AC?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is AC?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the only political system that is a logical consequence of natural rights.

[/ QUOTE ]That is correct.

The supreme "rule" in Nature is that the stronger survives -- and, in the process, takes away as much as he pleases from the weaker. There are no human laws, no human morality, no constraints at all when adopting "natural law". Humans already (but briefly) experimented with the application of "natural laws" in politics. In economics, we have AC, where strength is measured by ownership and management of property.

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]

So the issue becomes: How best to restrain those with strength and power to protect individual rights?

[ QUOTE ]

We must ask, not whether an anarcho-capitalist society would be safe from a power grab by the men with the guns (safety is not an available option), but whether it would be safer than our society is from a comparable seizure of power by the men with the guns. I think the answer is yes. In our society, the men who must engineer such a coup are politicians, military officers, and policemen, men selected precisely for the characteristic of desiring power and being good at using it. They are men who already believe that they have a right to push other men around--that is their job. They are particularly well qualified for the job of seizing power. Under anarcho-capitalism the men in control of protection agencies are selected for their ability to run an efficient business and please their customers. It is always possible that some will turn out to be secret power freaks as well, but it is surely less likely than under our system where the corresponding jobs are labeled 'non-power freaks need not apply.'

[/ QUOTE ]

(from http://daviddfriedman.com/Academic/L...ate_good.html)
Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW i also heard that Warren Buffet plans to give away a big chuck of his vast fortune to charity.

2 of hte richest (are they 1 and 2?) both intend to GIVE AWAY FORTUNES TO CHARITY!

[/ QUOTE ]

As an aside, they're also both supporters of the estate tax, which encourages the super rich to give money to charity instead of trying to create evil empires. That's not very AC.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 PM

Last time I checked there was a war on Iraq.
Do you think Bush would have invaded Iraq if he wouldnt have forced every american to give part of their money? Nobody would invade Iraq with his money because the costs are too high, but in statism that is exactly what it happened.

Are you really not bothered that poor ppl are being forced to give part of their income to fund some massive scale massacre?

Also what system do you think its better than AC? Let me guess: a system in which you decided what drugs can I do, you decide what kinda sex do I get to have, you decide how to use part of my money, you decide what voluntary transactions are fair and what transactions are not fair,you decide what is the minimun standards someone should have,etc,etc.

edit: this reply is to mickey braush or something.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also what system do you think its better than AC? Let me guess: a system in which you decided what drugs can I do, you decide what kinda sex do I get to have, you decide how to use part of my money, you decide what voluntary transactions are fair and what transactions are not fair,you decide what is the minimun standards someone should have,etc,etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you don't support AC, you automatically support an Orwellian society? This is a horrible arguement to make.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you don't support AC, you automatically support an Orwellian society? This is a horrible arguement to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was describing the current USA system.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you really not bothered that poor ppl are being forced to give part of their income to fund some massive scale massacre?

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt that the Iraq War is bad. Not good. However, you AC guys always take the bad decisions made by government as a reason to scrap the whole thing. What about some of the good things to come out of government?

Have you ever heard of ARPANET? That was the first packet-switched network. It was funded by the Defense Department. ARPANET eventually grew into the Internet. How would massive projects like this get funded in AC land? Answer: they wouldn't and we would all be worse off.

By the way, did I see someone cite to medieval Iceland as a positive example of AC? LOL! If there is one point in the space-time continuum where I would never want to find myself it's medieval Iceland.

Good grief. Iceland? That's the best you can do?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, did I see someone cite to medieval Iceland as a positive example of AC? LOL! If there is one point in the space-time continuum where I would never want to find myself it's medieval Iceland.

Good grief. Iceland? That's the best you can do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why please?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard of ARPANET? That was the first packet-switched network. It was funded by the Defense Department. ARPANET eventually grew into the Internet. How would massive projects like this get funded in AC land? Answer: they wouldn't and we would all be worse off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that large scale projects require govt intervention? That's ridiculous. Private enterprise has built transcontinental railroads, flown people all over the planet, developed personal computers, automobiles, telephones, electricity, and millions of other things that improve lives dramatically without (and in some cases, in spite of) government.

One invention that was helped along by govt does not a case for statism make.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:15 PM

I was actually describing Chile, but hey USA also fits the description!
People are so used at being told what to do that its normal for them.
melchy: I will repeat once again: the goverment doesnt let you smoke pot, the goverment doesnt let you pay for sex.
If you think that is orwellian, well I have to say I agree.

Annies: I dont have a counter-argument right now.

edit: Its true that many inventions are caused by defence expense. And there will be less massive wars on AC, so thats a plus for statism.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM

the Dutch government lets you smoke pot and pay for sex.

in Nevada, you can pay for sex legally.