Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Little things that annoy you in sports

I absolutely hate how basketball players, at any level, must smack hands with another player after every single free throw. It reminds me of Puddy on Seinfeld...

"Hey, I just made a free throw. High five!"

"Hey, I just missed a free throw. High five!"

The only time I enjoy it is when none of the other players offer the hand and the free throw shooter has to go out of his way to walk from the line to another player to get slapped. Some players almost look panicked, as if they would be screwed on the next shot if they didn't get some desperately needed hand-to-hand contact. Am I insane or does anyone else notice and/or get annoyed by this?

What other little rituals in sport annoy you?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Little things that annoy you in sports

Some of the dumb interview questions they ask after the games get annoying. Like, "do you feel good about the win tonight?". Um...yes? Or after one of our high school games a reporter asked my friend who had hit two free throws at the end, "how did you make those free throws?" What kind of question is that? He shot them and they went in, there's no magic secret.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the dumb interview questions they ask after the games get annoying. Like, "do you feel good about the win tonight?". Um...yes? Or after one of our high school games a reporter asked my friend who had hit two free throws at the end, "how did you make those free throws?" What kind of question is that? He shot them and they went in, there's no magic secret.

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely gets annoying. I've noticed a recent trend where they don't even ask a question. They just make a statement and shove the mic in the player's face. I'd like to think I would stand there in silence.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely gets annoying. I've noticed a recent trend where they don't even ask a question. They just make a statement and shove the mic in the player's face. I'd like to think I would stand there in silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaq does this sometimes, like when they ask him about Kobe. Either that or he gives one-word answers, and the reporters don't know what to do. Hilarious.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 PM

Football:
First down and how do they place the chains? By 'guesstimate'.
Fourth down play, a pile of 22 bodies and 6000 lbs. and how do they spot the ball? By 'guesstimation'.
Now you bring out the chains and with microscopic precision measure for the first down.

Fumble. Joe Bigwicki falls on the ball. Clearly has possession. Five players from the other team land on him. He's on the ground. Touched by an opponent. Down by contact? Play over? No, we now have a wrestling match for the ball.

Baseball

Two outs, top of the 8th. Score 7-1 favor of the home team. Man on first. Pitcher throws over to first base. Seven times. The runner is a 35 year old former catcher with arthritic knees. He ain't running, Einstein, throw to the plate.

Grand slam home run.

"They came to play." No kidding.

"He gave 110%". Not really.

"If you are on a kick return team and can see (was 'read', but to be safe) his name on his jersey, don't block him"

New Jersey Giants/Jets. You don't even play in the state of NY.

New York football Giants. There hasn't been a NY baseball Giants for almost 50 years.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 PM

ESPN's focus on entertainment over the depth and beauty of competition of team sports

How much officials are paid for their level of performance

oops, these are big things that bother me.

I agree with Angus, setting up the chains is kind of a joke

OH yeah, how long instant replay takes! If it cannot be overturned in a minute and a half of slo-mo, it's close enough to let the call on the field stand.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New York football Giants. There hasn't been a NY baseball Giants for almost 50 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only person who says that is Chris Berman, and he says it as a joke. (i.e., it's the same as Kenny Mayne using the term "tackle football," as if they'd be covering two-hand touch foundball.)
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 PM

I'm going to go with the one and one rule in college basketball. It is barely better than not being fouled for an average shooter and much worse for a 60% guy. Teams should be penalized for fouling.
Also, how about any time any announcer ever talks about the decision to go for it on 4th down. Usually they make the wrong decision for the wrong reason, and even when they are right they make the decision for the wrong reason, citing stuff like "they have the momentum here". Finally, if a team goes for it and makes it, the announcer will overwhelmingly agree with the call, talking about how the coach "fired up his players".
Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 PM

I hate the foul fest at the end of basketball games. If a team can benefit by fouling, then there is a problem. This could easily be fixed (delayed whistle hockey style, give the fouled team the option of inbounding, exponentially increasing numbers of free throws, etc.) but no one seems to want to.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oops, these are big things that bother me.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG HIJACK! Eh, whatever. I could have just as easily removed the word "little" from the subject line.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Angus, setting up the chains is kind of a joke

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how far off we are from an all-electronic system. That yellow line you see on TV wasn't terribly accurate at first, but now comes incredibly close. Considering the system they are now using for challenges in tennis, it seems the technology is not too far off.