Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-30-2006, 09:03 PM

Default Request for chip count

I'm not sure this is the right spot to post this but since most of my live play is in the tournaments I run it's the most likely place I'll encounter this scenario.

So, what is your oblgation as a player if another player asks "How many chips you got left". Generally a player asks this after you've bet and they're contemplating raising you or you raised them and they might be thinking all in or reraise. Assuming your chips are stacked properly so he can see the higher value ones is there any requirement for you to count them out for him. I have dedicated dealers at my games so does the responsibility fall to them to count the amount. Or is there no requirement for you to give him an exact total?

If you say they player needs to provide the count can you cite or direct me to a specific rule or code of etiquette.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 09-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Request for chip count

In tournemnt play if asked you must provide a chip count. See roberts rules of poker if you want the specific rule in print.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:55 PM

Thanks David. But before I posted this I looked in Roberts Rules and didn't see anything. I checked again and still don't see a specific citong for this, so if you know where it is can you give me a little help.

THanks,

Pat
Old 10-01-2006, 03:54 AM

You need to understand that in poker not all the rules are written down, many rules are just well known.

NL (cash games or tournament) a player has the right to know how much money he is risking in the hand (actually this is true of limit and pot limit as well). As such he is entitled to know exactly how much money his opponent has on the table.

If a player asks for a count his opponent is not obligated to give the count, if the player declines he is obligated to allow the dealer to count the chips.

If the chips are in even stacks the player should simply break down one stack and break down any uneven stacks.