Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Suggest 1 thing to do in these 7 Midwest cities

Pittsburgh -

Eat : Primanti Brothers (you can get it in the stadium or go to Market Square [couple minutes from the stadium on the other side of the river, walkable but probably best for a taxi since you don't know where market square is])

Tourist : If you're going with a chick, check out Mount Washington. You can take an incline up and down so added tourist oppertunity. Not much there but it's a great view of the city.

The Point is also nice to check out plus there's a bunch of museums if that's your cup of tea.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if you get to have a few meals and don't wanna eat pizza and wanna go to a fun laid back restaurant you should try Ed Dabevrich's (I'm sure I butchered this) most sarcastic,rude, and funny waiters/waitresses and just a stupid way to kick back and have a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went there for part of our senior class trip, nobody told me they were supposed to be rude and I flipped out on our waitress for being rude. I felt bad later after someone explained.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In chicago, just go downtown and wander around millenium park and the downtown area. There's also the art institute, aquarium and field museum within walking distance and a Giordanos right by the Sears Tower.

If you're going to Chicago for one day, Hyde Park (where the Museum of Science & Industry is) would NOT be the place I'd go to. Not what I'd call a tourist destination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicago's the only one on the list that I've been to multiple times and will likely be back multiple times, so I'm not as worried about missing something here as I would be with the others.

And the last time I was at the science museum was like 15 years ago, so it might be fun to head back. And I'm cool with being around Hyde Park...my bro lived there for most of his graduate years at UofC.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM

CHICAGO: If you're there are night, go to the Signature Room Lounge for a drink some night. Don't bother with dinner, it'll run you $300 for 2 easy, but the bar is one floor up and the view is unbeatable by any other bar/restaurant. It's the 96th floor of the Hancock building.

Be ready to wait in line for 20min or more for the elevator ride up though.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In chicago, just go downtown and wander around millenium park and the downtown area. There's also the art institute, aquarium and field museum within walking distance and a Giordanos right by the Sears Tower.

If you're going to Chicago for one day, Hyde Park (where the Museum of Science & Industry is) would NOT be the place I'd go to. Not what I'd call a tourist destination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicago's the only one on the list that I've been to multiple times and will likely be back multiple times, so I'm not as worried about missing something here as I would be with the others.

And the last time I was at the science museum was like 15 years ago, so it might be fun to head back. And I'm cool with being around Hyde Park...my bro lived there for most of his graduate years at UofC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

There's nothing wrong with Hyde Park, but to someone unfamiliar with Chicago, probably not the most interesting place to spend your only day. This does not apply to you.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 PM

All of the have MLB teams, enough said.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

There's nothing wrong with Hyde Park, but to someone unfamiliar with Chicago, probably not the most interesting place to spend your only day. This does not apply to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

when I was last in Chicago, I went to the Sears Tower, Hyde Park - (saw the Married W/ Children fountain) - and the Art Institute -

I recommend the Art Institute -

Rock and Roll hall of fame for Cleveland.

RB
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of the have MLB teams, enough said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, what a weird coincidence since the OP said he was going on a baseball trip in his very first sentence.

Chicago - I think it's "Ed Debevic's", when it was here in Phoenix for 10-15 years it had a 50's diner feel to it. Not sure why they thought the rudeness would be a logical addition but I do vaguely remember it. Also, I remember a lot of the help staff being VERY good at acting rude. Too good.

Not sure how many are still around - and also I remembered it being part of a conglomerate of other chain restaurants - but it was the place that introduced me to cheese fries, and I will never forgive them for that.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if you get to have a few meals and don't wanna eat pizza and wanna go to a fun laid back restaurant you should try Ed Dabevrich's (I'm sure I butchered this) most sarcastic,rude, and funny waiters/waitresses and just a stupid way to kick back and have a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went there for part of our senior class trip, nobody told me they were supposed to be rude and I flipped out on our waitress for being rude. I felt bad later after someone explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't bother going their either, tourist trip, not very exciting.

For Sox game, go downtown in the afternoon and walk around. Millenium Park, Sears Tower, Ginos East, Mag Mile. You won't have time to do it all than take the red line down to the game. After game come back downtown and go to the top of the cock (Signatue Room in John Hancock Center.)

Cubs game just go bar hoping in wrigleyville. Lots of fun places close by.

Detroit's the only other city I know. Go to Windsor, lots of 18 year old college girls when school is in session, lots of strip clubs year round. Drive 2 hours to Bells Brewery in K-Zoo or Founders in Grand Rapids. Whatever you do leave Detroit.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM

In Milwaukee, you eat at Kopp's Frozen Custard:
http://www.kopps.com/locations.htm

Your touristy destination is the Pabst Mansion:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z134229BD

(Although you wouldn't go wrong with a brewery tour.)