Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Hobbies that let you know people suck

Kind of surprised to see my hobby only has one hit so far......

The key is to realize that there is nothing in the world more boring to other people than YOUR hobby, and not to bother them with it.

I like history, and since being a ER doc pays about 5x what being a history professor does, it lets me indulge in something I enjoy in an area that I'm interested in.

Two other points - unlike a lot of other collecting hobbies, if you know what you're doing you'll at least break even.

And overall, the [censored] ratio in the hobby is about 1:1000 - which is pretty low for any population.

MM MD
Old 07-03-2006, 10:07 PM

collecting trading cards of any kind.

i wasted so much money on that when i was a kid but, then again, i was a kid and didn't know any better. how a small, rectangular piece of thin cardboard holds any interest or intrigue for adults is a total mind-blow.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM

I'm surprised nobody has said scrapbooking yet. $5,000 woth of gear to cut up pictures and glue them to a piece of paper. WTF.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What you just described sounds cool, especially if done with just map and compass. But how does this differ from hiking? Even geocaching with map and compass (orienteering?) would be somewhat of a challenge. Using a GPS to find plastic boxes in urban areas is just lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point. I guess I just equate geocaching with hiking, and when someone tells me that they geocache, I think of them as an adventurous outdoor person, rather than an urban area plastic trinket hoarder. Maybe I need to change my default reaction to that, because I do know the people who wander from park to park and get excited to find a large wad of crap stuck to the underside of a bench.

And to whoever mentioned scrapbooking -AMEN. Whoever first made up the idea that you need special scissors and paper to keep your memories intact was a genius. It's like the people and places mean nothing to the scrapbookers unless it's decorated in the proper shade and edge pattern.

-Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harley Davidson enthusiasts tend to suck. As far as motorcycles go, Harleys are overpriced, underengineered and way overrated.

HD enthusiasts tend to be yuppie, weekend warrior, poseurs just buying into an image of badassery that has been carefully crafted by an advertising agency.

In my book Harley enthusiasts are in the same boat as LARPers, it's just that the fantasy they're playing out is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you recommend for a biggish bike, then? Is there an option under $10k out there?

I'm actually curious.

~D
Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 AM

I want to get a bike, but don't want to start with a Harley. Some of the Yamaha V-Stars look pretty good, and are well under $10k.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:28 AM

trainspotting