Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Having a \"Real\' Job

I don't really get the point of your post. Yes in many situations for people online poker for a living isn't the most optimal decision short term and / or long term. That could be because they aren't good enough, motivated enough, or they have other prospects etc. However not everybody has a good job with benefits down the road available.

I always slacked off in high school and never got good grades or anything, and the rest of my family was not wealthy or anything either, and I had no rewarding career waiting in the wings. So for me, "poker pro" was really an obvious choice and it's worked out well for me. My situation is definitely unique but I think anybody who has a solid understanding of the game and has good work ethic can make a good living from this game, and it's not too hard either.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really get the point of your post. Yes in many situations for people online poker for a living isn't the most optimal decision short term and / or long term. That could be because they aren't good enough, motivated enough, or they have other prospects etc. However not everybody has a good job with benefits down the road available.

I always slacked off in high school and never got good grades or anything, and the rest of my family was not wealthy or anything either, and I had no rewarding career waiting in the wings. So for me, "poker pro" was really an obvious choice and it's worked out well for me. My situation is definitely unique but I think anybody who has a solid understanding of the game and has good work ethic can make a good living from this game, and it's not too hard either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point of my post was that having a corporate job isn't as bad as people paint it to be on here. As somehow becoming a poker pro allows you this incredible freedom for a grinding job (which poker ends up becoming for many.) Yes, my job is difficult, challenging, and frustrating at times. But it isn't like I am unhappy at my job and happy when I am not working. You can be happy in both places or miserable in both places.

I think you underestimate how easy it is to be a poker pro as I probably underestimate how easy it is to make it a decent living in the 'real' world.

Cheers
Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably underestimate how easy it is to make it a decent living in the 'real' world.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to be effing retarded to come to this conclusion. Look around. People have jobs. They don't starve to death. Its easy to get a job, thats why people have them.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM

I think he means jobs that pay at least $80K.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 AM

I go to university as a hobby for interaction, a lot more fun than a job and takes less time, also the ppl are younger and look better
Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 PM

different things drive different people. some people look forward to goingto the gym. you, stop by because its on the way home after work.

you not having structure in poker doesn't mean there can't be structure. and so on and so on...

I understand what you're saying. always fun to talk about.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 PM

LOL that people make $80K to start with and that its hard to get a decent paying job. Also LOL that I had any kind of job or career waiting in the wings. Things don't work like that for most people. You have to work your way up and that takes a few years of sticking to things. I'm with OP on this one. Same thing as OP also....my first job in the mid 90's after college paid $28K for ~55 hours a week(salaried in violation of state law). Anyway, I sucked badly at that job so got to work at a job paying $22K a year. Hated that job so much that I worked my rear end off to make my bosses look good...better than me even....and after a couple years was a very desireable employee and took a new job starting at $35K a year and did well and so forth.

Anyway, like OP said, its super nice having a paycheck that covers living expenses and then some. Plus my hours are flexible so I work M-TH 10.5 hours a day, and then play poker at Commerce $20-40 LHE on TH, F, and Sa night. It's hella sweet, I have medical and dental coverage for free, a retirement plan, don't pay social security taxes, and enough left over to put further savings aside. Also 12 sick days a year, 13 paid holidays(translating into like 10 four day weekends a year), and other goodies.

BTW, the number of LA players that succeed in being full time pros for more than a year or two can probably be counted on my two hands and two feet. Its an extremely low number that can sustain it.

Another BTW, the job I do currently has a couple hundred openings and is accepting applications closing Friday. No one ever takes me up on it, which I can't understand, but whatever. Starts at $45K now, and its easy to promote and make up to $85K or so. It's possible to make twice that, but it is more difficult to get those positions. Only requirement is to have a 4 year degree. Here is the site: Govt job.