Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 PM

Default bad habit, moving my head to peek at clubhead during backswing..

im a 90-100 shooter who has just recently started to creep down to upper 80s. out of no where i have started a bad habit, moreso when im using my driver, woods, hybrids. what i do is right after address and starting my backswing i tilt my eyes to look at my clubhead to make sure its square and then i quickly get back to look at the ball and keep my head down from that point on.

i can tell you this that one of bad problems that i have been putting emphasis on fixing is keep my club head square and keeping my wrists/hands from breaking or turning during my swing. i think this is why im so self concious of it.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Re: bad habit, moving my head to peek at clubhead during backswing..

[ QUOTE ]

i can tell you this that one of bad problems that i have been putting emphasis on fixing is keep my club head square and keeping my wrists/hands from breaking or turning during my swing. i think this is why im so self concious of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this doesn't sound like a "fix" to me. You want your wrists to break during your backswing. Keeping them locked is going to suck all your power away and probably make you hit really big pulls (although it could cause one of any number of problems).
Old 07-25-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this doesn't sound like a "fix" to me. You want your wrists to break during your backswing. Keeping them locked is going to suck all your power away and probably make you hit really big pulls (although it could cause one of any number of problems).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't rly break my left wrist much at all during the backswing, my right wrist will begin to hinge when my clubhead is about waist high. I want to create as much width as I can on the backswing. Breaking your left wrist and picking up the club does not seem like good advice.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't rly break my left wrist much at all during the backswing, my right wrist will begin to hinge when my clubhead is about waist high. I want to create as much width as I can on the backswing. Breaking your left wrist and picking up the club does not seem like good advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps we're just using different terms? I forget the specifics of pronation, supination and so forth, so I won't try to describe what I'm talking about. I'll just say that whatever position Tiger's wrist is in, it's not what it is at address. Whether that's a break, a twist, a rotation or whatever I don't know. When reading the OP I got a mental image of the guys that keep their wrists totally locked throughout the swing, intentionally, thinking it helps them keep get the clubface square, which, of course, it does not.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:59 AM

Ya I hear ya, it is kinda hard to describe verbally. I guess how I interpret it is if you were to hold your arm out palm down...to me vertical movement would be breaking your wrist.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 AM

Evan, Tiger's wrists really aren't broken in that photo. OP, I'm not really sure what your question is? It seems kind of headcaseish to look away at your club during the backswing.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 AM

its really hard for me to desribe. also im not sure im using proper wording for desribing the mechanics of my backswing. i use to have a problem of opening my clubface during my backswing, now i concentrate it square. also, i have a very slow backswing to help me keep my hands and wrists in proper form. when im driving i slowly start my backswing and my head and eyes tilt slightly to look at my club face and then they go back to proper stance and i swing and keep my head down and follow through. no one i play with has even noticed or mentioned it. i play with some good players who give me advice when they notice my many leaks.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 PM

I know what you are talking about. Bending your wrist outward from hands at your side position is the motion. It will create a slice, as it's tough to get your club face back square for contact. You can see this on someone who's club head is inside the target line at the top of the back swing, pointing back across the body.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you are talking about. Bending your wrist outward from hands at your side position is the motion. It will create a slice, as it's tough to get your club face back square for contact. You can see this on someone who's club head is inside the target line at the top of the back swing, pointing back across the body.

[/ QUOTE ]
I intentionally do this in my swing. I have a draw bias as is, so getting my hands open (thus allowing me to feel comfortable firing through my hands at impact) helps me keep it straight.

Edit: Hmm, I just realized I'm not sure what you mean by "bending your hands outwards". I bend the back of my hand toward my forearm (i.e. open the club face).