Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: You never know where you are

you play better hands than they do. you push for value when you usually have the best of it. in time you will get the money.

this type of player makes it crucial to learn how to interpret "tells" when in a live atmosphere. alot of times these opponents vary their reactions by the strength of their hands. learn these reactions and it can almost be as good as them flipping their cards face up.

i'm a pretty quiet guy by nature. when at a poker table it lends me to just quietly observe between or during a hand. i don't watch the flop or the turncard. i'm watching every move they make as the situation unfolds and how they react to it. as you bet watch their face, their shoulders, how they sit, and how they throw chips in the pot(force, direction, etc.). sometimes noticing that extra flinch from an opponent when you bet means on the next round it might be better to check, or it might mean you have them crushed. learn the difference.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this type of player makes it crucial to learn how to interpret "tells" when in a live atmosphere. alot of times these opponents vary their reactions by the strength of their hands. learn these reactions and it can almost be as good as them flipping their cards face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. I couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I do try this when I'm playing live (2/4 or 5/10 euro), but I never seem to pick up any tell, not even a vague one. I've looked in the micro FAQ and searched a bit on the forums, but I can't find any thread/article which explains the first baby steps. There's so many people to watch and so many things I could be paying attention to. Should I just start observing only one or two players in a session? What are the best things to start looking for as a newbie? I've ordered Mike Caro's book but it will take some time before it arrives; is it any good?

(Sorry for the thread hijack but I'm also getting pissed off; the other night a guy was calling to the river with his JJ on a KJ763 rainbowbord while I was "value"betting my TP).
Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've looked in the micro FAQ and searched a bit on the forums, but I can't find any thread/article which explains the first baby steps. There's so many people to watch and so many things I could be paying attention to. Should I just start observing only one or two players in a session? What are the best things to start looking for as a newbie? I've ordered Mike Caro's book but it will take some time before it arrives; is it any good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Caro's book is probably the best one out(or at least the best one out that i've heard of). you need to remember it's far from perfect, though. you also need to keep in mind that many players react differently to each situation. this is often a reflection of the player's personality. Caro's book is good at identifying the little physical things, but it's still going to be up to you to interpret it at the table.

the only other advice i can give is watch. when out of a hand, sit there and watch the mannerisms of these people. how do they react when raised? when they plan on folding do they make premature motions? when they plan on betting/raising do they get the chips ready beforehand? how are they protecting their cards? are they aggressively splashing chips or are they deliberate and concise? all of these bits of info may add up to your being able to make a slightly better decision because you "notice" something. as with anything, it's something you get better at over time and with practice. watch. listen. learn.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Hey Buddy! That's a good thing; don't complain.

I was in a game where villain flopped quads and checked both turn and river, you have to count your blessings and just write a note that starts with: J~ <*{{}}}{
Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Might as well add my war story, played a hand a while back, guy on the button called through the whole hand. He had queens on a queen hi flop where the board paired on the turn. So yes, from the button he had QQ PF, flopped top set, turned top boat and never once raised.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM

I like James reply of how he watches players reactions to the flop and turn rather than the cards themselves. This is something I need to do more of for sure. I am guilty of getting caught up in my own hand and the board that I st times forget to watch the other players in on the hand. Simple but a good one James
Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 AM

I've also been frustrated by this from time to time. Depending on how loose the whole table is though, it seems like it can afford great opportunities to limp with a greater variety of drawing hands and see free cards (again, assuming there will be enough limps and calls in the pot to be worth winning).

If they're afraid pocket AA got outflopped, the free-card raise in late position almost always works.

I hope your luck turns around.