Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: The Play of Hands by Roy Cooke

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. I had never heard of Real Poker II: The Play of Hands. I picked it up, read it, and was very impressed. This is definitely one of the best poker books I've ever read. I can't wait to read it again to pick up on all the stuff I'm sure I missed the first way through! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Expecting mine to arrive any day now. Is there anything on shorthanded play? what limits is the book geared towards?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 PM

I've got this book on order, should also be here soon.

In case you didn't know, Roy's columns for Card Player since like 2003 are available on the Card Player website. I've got them all printed, they're very good. If you're interested in his books you should check them out.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got this book on order, should also be here soon.

In case you didn't know, Roy's columns for Card Player since like 2003 are available on the Card Player website. I've got them all printed, they're very good. If you're interested in his books you should check them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep saying I'll print all of them one day but alas, laziness gets the best of me.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. I had never heard of Real Poker II: The Play of Hands. I picked it up, read it, and was very impressed. This is definitely one of the best poker books I've ever read. I can't wait to read it again to pick up on all the stuff I'm sure I missed the first way through! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Expecting mine to arrive any day now. Is there anything on shorthanded play? what limits is the book geared towards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy has played primarily live, full ring, mid to high mid limits. Around 30/60 or so.

He does play online at times though.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 PM

I too jsut ordered it today. This thread has been a good ad for this book. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM

yeah, i take the columns, put them to word to increase the font size.... but then i never seem to make it to the local copy shop to get them into a ring book.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM

3 hole punch and binder from Wal Mart is less than $10. A good investment. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Glad I could be of some small service. This book has done a lot for my game, so I wanted to pass it along.

While Roy's usual game is the 30/60 game at Mirage, the way he thinks about hands is good for anyone's game. I'm much better able to put people on hands now, plus his idea of increasing your edge puts more money in your pocket is brilliant. His formula is one I've not seen from anyone else. It works.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 hole punch and binder from Wal Mart is less than $10. A good investment. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Glad I could be of some small service. This book has done a lot for my game, so I wanted to pass it along.

While Roy's usual game is the 30/60 game at Mirage, the way he thinks about hands is good for anyone's game. I'm much better able to put people on hands now, plus his idea of increasing your edge puts more money in your pocket is brilliant. His formula is one I've not seen from anyone else. It works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I think about it, Real Poker II is probably the best non 2+2 book I've ever read.

What I like most about it is that its a very easy and fun read but you really get a lot out of it. I really found the "Pocket 4's Debate" to be interesting. That was the first I had heard of it.

Anyway, if you haven't gotten this book yet, you don't know how much you're missing.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 AM

Got the book on Sat and have read a bit of it. I erally like the book quite a bit. For some reason, seeing this in a book form instead of reading it in CP mag seems better and I get more out of it. Maybe because I get the mags for free but had to pay for the book. Not sure but the book reads a lot better than the same in a magazine form to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Real Poker 2 by Roy Cooke is a great book. I like the format a lot and I would love to read a similar format book from Mason or Ed Miller although some of Mason's Poker Essays have a similar hand analysis format.

I just reread Cooke a few days ago then saw this thread. I will buy another Cooke book as soon as it's for sale.