Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Re: What is AC?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why? If most people don't care about being forcibly taxed to take care of the poor, what makes you think they won't donate to help them as well?

[/ QUOTE ] How is it +EV for me to donate to the poor?

[/ QUOTE ] How is it +EV for me to be taxed?
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The impeccable track record of capitalism is well documented as a success.

[/ QUOTE ] What track record? I thought you ACers call our economic system mercantilism.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a matter of degree. Capitalism is thriving in spite of government intrusion.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How? Bill Gates and other rich individuals uses his "status" to create things that benefit all of society. It's only when someone can use another's wealth (ie, a politician using tax money for his entire claim to power) that the things you describe happen in history.

[/ QUOTE ] Bill Gates doesn't create anything. He is a major shareholder and chairman-of-the-board of a corporation (Microsoft) that employs people who create things. You know, a corporation. That evil construct which shifts liability burdens onto the poor or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should read up on Bill Gates and corporations

Would we be better or worse off with Bill Gates? Would we be better off with or with out businesses? Why or why not?

Many types of corporations have limited liability. In other words if they create large debts they are externalized to the state, or in other words us, the tax payers or something.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 PM

1. Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours. Why is it +EV for me to give to the poor?

2. The very essence of the modern corporation is government intervention.

3. Perhaps I was being pedantic--currently Bill Gates is the chairman-of-the-board and is retired from his creative role. Even so, everything significant Bill Gates has done has been through the vehicle of Microsoft--a corporation. Corporations would not exist in ACland, I am constantly reminded.

The bulk of the industrial revolution and the information age which follows has been enabled by the capital accumulation possible by the modern corporation. This capital accumulation depends on limited liability, which requires government intervention. Limited liability protects shareholders (eg, Bill Gates) from the liability incurred by the operation of the corporation. This makes passive investment +EV.

All of this goes away with AC.

I'll ask you a fourth question:

4. Why is it +EV to invest without limited liability?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Becuase your business's potential profits are greater than the liabilities you will likely incur. You're arguing specifically that ventures should be encouraged/allowed where this is NOT the case.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the same reason it's +EV to own a profitable business in general? I don't understand what you're not seeing here.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the same reason it's +EV to own a profitable business in general? I don't understand what you're not seeing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be interesting to ask the average person if they would invest in the stock market if there was a 0.0001% chance they would lose their house at some time in the next 40 years because of their investment.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Answer my question first, then I'll answer yours. Why is it +EV for me to give to the poor?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is maybe it isn't. The EV of it is based on how much you care about the poor, the amount you give and how losing the utility of that money costs you, etc. These factors are the same for taxation, which is forced.
[ QUOTE ]
2. The very essence of the modern corporation is government intervention.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is why the corporation in some ways is anti-AC. It forces some of it's liability onto involuntary investors (ie taxpayers) to externalize it's costs. This can be done, voluntarily, in a free market devoid of government intervention.
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I was being pedantic--currently Bill Gates is the chairman-of-the-board and is retired from his creative role. Even so, everything significant Bill Gates has done has been through the vehicle of Microsoft--a corporation. Corporations would not exist in ACland, I am constantly reminded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Corporations would exist, not in the same way they exist now, that being without forced externalization to taxpayers.
[ QUOTE ]
The bulk of the industrial revolution and the information age which follows has been enabled by the capital accumulation possible by the modern corporation. This capital accumulation depends on limited liability, which requires government intervention. Limited liability protects shareholders (eg, Bill Gates) from the liability incurred by the operation of the corporation. This makes passive investment +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Corporations are free to contract that liability from investors to themselves or a voluntary third party such as an insurance company or private bank.
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it +EV to invest without limited liability?

[/ QUOTE ]
Strawman, see above. Why is it +EV to be forced to pay off the debt of a corporation you never dealt with?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the paradigm of anarcho-capitalism, institutions of collective social advancement are abolished, including those essential to technological innovation.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the paradigm of anarcho-capitalism, institutions of collective social advancement are abolished, including those essential to technological innovation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever heard of capitalism?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the paradigm of anarcho-capitalism, institutions of collective social advancement are abolished

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Do you see why?