Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Need help accessing desktop on old HDD that I made slave in new pc

I fried my motherboard last week. My new pc came today. I took the hard drive out of my old box and added it as a second hard drive to my new one. When I go to access my old desktop folder, I keep getting the "F:\Documents and Settings\Desktop access is denied" message. I assume that this has to do with the user account that I had created on my old pc.

When I right click and go into sharing and security at the top it says: "To share this folder with other users or this computer only, drag it to the Shared Documents folder."
I am assuming that dragging my old desktop that is now on my F: drive into the Shared Documents folder on my new C: drive is a bad idea. Is it really okay to do this or is there some other way for me to work around this and gain access to all of the contents on my old drive?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Need help accessing desktop on old HDD that I made slave in new pc

Bump.

Anybody know? I'm at a complete loss here. Whenever I try to open my old desktop, start menu, favorites, my documents, etc. I get an access is denied message. My old drive is there but I can't get to anything.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:18 PM

not sure what OS's are involved, but perhaps you can right click the folder in question, bring up properties, and "Take Ownership"?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:25 PM

This is a permissions issue. The old drive is only accessable by a certain user. I'm not really sure what the solution is though, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can step in.

It might be that if you use an administrator account, or a user account with exactly the same details as the old machine you'll get around this. I am not certain however.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not sure what OS's are involved, but perhaps you can right click the folder in question, bring up properties, and "Take Ownership"?

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. It's Windows XP Home.

When I right-click any of these folders and go to sharing and security then check the "Share this folder on the network" box, I get a message like this:

"An error occurred while trying to share desktop. Access is denied."

I tried creating an admin account with the same name as I used on my old pc and that doesn't work, either. I'm sure even though the login info is the same, the id itself is different.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:06 PM

I don't have any XP Home machines here. I take it there is no separate "security" tab then w/ ownership parameters.

Try booting to the old drive as a master and the new one as a slave....prolly in safe mode would be best to try first due to fewer drivers loading (doze will FREAK on all the "new hardware found"). If safe mode won't boot, try a normal boot but basically skip/ignore all the driver requests. Once booted to your old environment, copy what you need to a new folder on the new drive, poke around for permissions to make it available to everyone if you can find anything like that...maybe even share it to everyone w/ read/write full access...then boot back to the new drive as the master like you have it now.

Once you are sure you can access the folders from the new machine and drive, then you can copy them to where you want them to live permanently and delete the shared folder.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:16 PM

I just figured out the solution. BiPolar, you had it right the first time. I just had to boot up in safe mode to do it. From there I right-click the old drive, properties > security > take ownership.

Thanks for the help. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Good deal! Congrats [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]