Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Stats analysis, online vs live, and LAG vs TAG... need advice

1) If I get higher PTBB/100 at 3/6 than 2/4 does it mean I should move up? How many hands is enough data for the higher PTBB/100 to be conclusive?

2) How would you compare the level of play between online and live 2/4 games, what are the main differences in what players do, how they think, etc?

3) Both my most winning and losing sessions usually show stats of around 31/20/2.1, while 25/15/1.6 tends to produce steady smaller winning sessions with much fewer losing ones. Should I stick to the TAG, safe-winning style or perfect the laggy style and learn to pick my spots better to win bigger and cut out the losing risk?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Stats analysis, online vs live, and LAG vs TAG... need advice

The answers to these questions are pretty complex (or long at least) so I doubt you will get any answers.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 AM

Well these questions are all very relevant to any MSNL player so I'm sure some have had the same experience and could help, but sure each question could make a standalone post.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 AM

1. no real conclusive thing on this, i think. if you're looking to get better at poker in the long run, you should probably move up if you have the bankroll. higher ptbb/100 is not significant until you reach a LOT of hands. you don't exclusively have to play 3/6, either, a lot of ppl play ranges from 3/6 to 10/20, whenever they feel the game is good enough to play.

2. live 2/4 games are a joke. ppl love calling, so playing a little more loose with speculative hands in position is always profitable (and more fun). online, ppl are more aggressive and less calling station like, you have to play better fundamentally overall.

3. stick with the style that you feel most comfortable with playing. either style imo can do well at these stakes.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) If I get higher PTBB/100 at 3/6 than 2/4 does it mean I should move up? Yes How many hands is enough data for the higher PTBB/100 to be conclusive? 500 000

2) How would you compare the level of play between online and live 2/4 games, what are the main differences in what players do, how they think, etc?

3) Both my most winning and losing sessions usually show stats of around 31/20/2.1, while 25/15/1.6 tends to produce steady smaller winning sessions with much fewer losing ones. Should I stick to the TAG, safe-winning style or perfect the laggy style and learn to pick my spots better to win bigger and cut out the losing risk? With lag play comes more marginal situations. The point is not to reduce your losing lag sessions relative to tag session. You will definitely lose more when you play lag. However, a good lag player gets paid off relative to their losses moreso than if they play tag. Lag is potentially more profitable than tag and I think it's more fun.

Thanks for any advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) If I get higher PTBB/100 at 3/6 than 2/4 does it mean I should move up? How many hands is enough data for the higher PTBB/100 to be conclusive?

If you feel that you get reasonable sucked out and dont have any sick 10k hand rushes I think about 100k is enough. If you have a rough losing patch over, say, 10k hands you gotta put in some more hands, say like 200k.

2/4 live games in my opinion is more like 0,5/1 online.

3) Both my most winning and losing sessions usually show stats of around 31/20/2.1, while 25/15/1.6 tends to produce steady smaller winning sessions with much fewer losing ones. Should I stick to the TAG, safe-winning style or perfect the laggy style and learn to pick my spots better to win bigger and cut out the losing risk?

One player can make good money playing 35/26, another player can make the same money playing 20/15. So it depends on what you are comfortable with.

Thanks for any advice.

[/ QUOTE ]