Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: How should a society deal with drugs?

[ QUOTE ]
Would you shop somewhere that served people who dealt drugs to kids? Would you apply to an insurance company that insured them?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you deal with a defence or security firm who offered defence to these people?

[/ QUOTE ] No, probably not. If I knew, anyway. I don't think it's obvious that we will know. But if we do, no protection for them if other people think like me. So lynch mobs it is then.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would you shop somewhere that served people who dealt drugs to kids? Would you apply to an insurance company that insured them?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't care that much about the issue then?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would you deal with a defence or security firm who offered defence to these people?

[/ QUOTE ] No, probably not. If I knew, anyway. I don't think it's obvious that we will know. But if we do, no protection for them if other people think like me. So lynch mobs it is then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if a lot of people think like you the cost of protection for them will certainly rise a great deal. Thereby drastically disincentivising selling drugs to kids without the need for government.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I care a lot about people selling drugs to children. I don't think grocery stores should refuse to let them buy bread, though. At least I'm not comfortable with that policy without a complex system to determine if the person is actually guilty. Like a court. And paying for that will be too much for the grocery store. It will also not do any good to refuse serving them. It will only make them need money even more, so they can't stop selling drugs since they can't suddenly access the market if they stop and then they don't have money to circumvent the boycott either.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if a lot of people think like you the cost of protection for them will certainly rise a great deal. Thereby drastically disincentivising selling drugs to kids without the need for government.

[/ QUOTE ] What is the incentive for protection companies to tell everyone who they protect? If someone makes a big deal out of a company protecting one guy who sells drugs to kids, they will say "oh, we didn't know. that is horrible. of course we will not protect this person."

Another thing is of course that the cost of protection would rise a great deal for the people who deal drugs to children. Not primarily for the reason you outline, but because of the lynch mobs.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I care a lot about people selling drugs to children. I don't think grocery stores should refuse to let them buy bread, though. At least I'm not comfortable with that policy without a complex system to determine if the person is actually guilty. Like a court. And paying for that will be too much for the grocery store. It will also not do any good to refuse serving them. It will only make them need money even more, so they can't stop selling drugs since they can't suddenly access the market if they stop and then they don't have money to circumvent the boycott either.

[/ QUOTE ]

The free market deals with prevention rather than cure because it is much more efficient. Less people will become drug dealers in the first place when wal mart can sell the same drugs at higher quality and lower prices and with the added costs practically noone will begin selling drugs to kids in the first place.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What is the incentive for protection companies to tell everyone who they protect? If someone makes a big deal out of a company protecting one guy who sells drugs to kids, they will say "oh, we didn't know. that is horrible. of course we will not protect this person."

Another thing is of course that the cost of protection would rise a great deal for the people who deal drugs to children. Not primarily for the reason you outline, but because of the lynch mobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any company that makes a habit of insuring/protecting etc drug dealers who sell to kids will get a reputation as such. Think which magazine for insurers and 100's of online comparison sites. It is then up to people to decide if they care about that issue enough to not patronize that establishment. I wouldn't but others might. That's freedom for you i guess.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I care a lot about people selling drugs to children. I don't think grocery stores should refuse to let them buy bread, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to think through your position here. You're saying that it's okay to cage people that sell drugs to children, but not okay for someone to say "Leave my store, I'm not selling you anything." You're actually making the case that aggressive coercion is moral but passive coercion is not, wheras I think most people would say the opposite or that there is no difference.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to think through your position here. You're saying that it's okay to cage people that sell drugs to children, but not okay for someone to say "Leave my store, I'm not selling you anything."

[/ QUOTE ] That's quite a stretch from what I said. What I said was I would still shop there even if they didn't say "leave my store" to those people. I also don't think refusing to serve drug dealers is an ideal solution, but I certainly think it's ok to do so.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we don't know, then all the laws in the world won't help us, right?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to think through your position here. You're saying that it's okay to cage people that sell drugs to children, but not okay for someone to say "Leave my store, I'm not selling you anything."

[/ QUOTE ] That's quite a stretch from what I said. What I said was I would still shop there even if they didn't say "leave my store" to those people. I also don't think refusing to serve drug dealers is an ideal solution, but I certainly think it's ok to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said both things, you said that you wouldn't shop there and you also said you wouldn't be in favor of grocery stores refusing to sell to them because it would only make them hungrier or something.