Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Ask me about being a religious jew

[ QUOTE ]

I think that a less religious and perhaps non-Israeli might be more likely to be offended. If one looks at opinions regarding Jew during the Enlightenment, a big dispute was whether they should be given citizenship or be considered a separate nation. A Jew in France or America might be offended at the suggestion that he could not be a full citizen, say, because he is part of another nation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean but, nevertheless, Jews have always been much more closely connected than most other religions. Jews in America DO care about what happens to Jews anywhere else in the world and vice-versa. This is not as true in other religions.

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps more bluntly, if you hate Jews but think they are a religion, you force them to convert; if you hate Jews but think they are a race, you kill them.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is basically the difference between the Greek in the time of the Hasmoneans (who tried to do away with the religion) and Haman in the time of the bible (who tried to do away with the people themselves).

[ QUOTE ]
if someone born a Jew converted to another religion, would they still be a Jew?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. 100%.

[ QUOTE ]

And another question: if a secular Jew came to you saying that he/she wanted to believe in the religion but currently did not, where would you have him/her start, that is, what would you advise this person do/read/etc. I guess this is a generic 'how do you find faith' sort of question, but I was wondering if there was a distinctly Jewish twist.

[/ QUOTE ]
The normal way these things tend to flow is that the person approaches someone religious. They are taken "under their wing" and the first things they normally start to keep are Sabbath, kosher and "family purity" (ritual immersion for the wife). It is a very gradual process where practice leads to learning, back to learning and so on in an ever-strengthening loop.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blitz - what are you thoughts on Meir Kahane?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would rather not go down the politics path but I'll just say he was not my cup of tea.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe that there are lamed vavniks?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I do.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Blitz def represents the near opposite side of myself

[/ QUOTE ].
If you are talking about political views then don't be so sure.

[ QUOTE ]
The majority of israelis have always seen Kahane and his followers as a personas non-grata. His party was banned from the elections in 1988. They were actually banned in 1984, when he won one seat in the Knesset, but the supreme court overrulled the decision, since there was no basis in the law. The law was changed soon afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although, as I stated in another reply, I was by no means a supporter of Meir Kahane (to say the least), I still have a serious problem with the idea of a democracy banning a political party and making it illegal to espouse certain views.
And, before you ask, that would include allowing Arabs to tell how much they hate Jews and want to through them out.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you feel about some jewish organizations in the US (and I imagine abroad) equating judaism with Israel, i.e. the modern state of Israel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that equating them is probably a bit too far. However, the borderline is very hard to define.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man, I've lived in Israel all my life and I don't have the slightest idea where Nof Ayalon is. Is it inside the green line?

[/ QUOTE ]
We are opposite Modiin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't have a clue what opposite of Modeein means. Is it near Latron? So you're basically just on the green line?

[/ QUOTE ]
Between Latrun and Moddin.
Next to Kibbutz Shaalvim and Mishmar Ayalon.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 AM

Who was the last recognised prophet in Judaism? Ezekiel?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems you side stepped the stoning issue by stating that the temple has not been rebuilt for the third time. In a later post from what i gather the temple will be rebuilt in the next 230 years or so. Say it happened in the next 5 years, would you support it or is it more of a "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."

[/ QUOTE ]
When the Temple then all the laws will be restored. However, contrary to popular belief (and what is seen on The Life of Brian) they were not stoning people all the time. The Talmud states that A court that puts to death a person on average more that once per SEVEN YEARS is consider a "murderous court".

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, here in NYC it was speculated in the press that Meir Kahane was possibly the Messiah.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is not the first and wil not be the last person who has been flouted as being the Messiah. However, there have not been many. The most famous one of all was someone by the name of Shabbtai Tzvi.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you see any, I dont want to say extremists, but people who are looking to make Prophesy come true by advocating blowing up the Dome of the Rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are idiots on all sides of any argument.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have men popping up occasionally who claim to be the Messiah.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know of no case where the person themselves claimed to be the Messiah. It is the followers that do so.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who was the last recognised prophet in Judaism? Ezekiel?

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct.
There was Ezra and Nehemiah after him but they are not really considered as prophets.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 PM

How many times a year do you fast?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many times a year do you fast?

[/ QUOTE ]
All the required ones.
This means:

1. Fast of Gedalya
2. Day of Atonement.