Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Paying for picks is not so bad

[ QUOTE ]
meh, i dont really see the big deal with paying for picks either. Id probably pay 1k/mo for crockpots picks ez, especially if he got them out early and gave me first crack at the lines after him.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, but I think some people's point here is that you dont have to. But as I said before, I dont really see a problem with it for beginners.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 AM

What's in it for the handicappers, assuming they really are this good?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:53 PM

For the services: Extra cash. Why say no to that?

For the customers: There's just too much sports to track for oneself out there.

I'm officially subscribed to 2 picks services and on a closed betting forum where I contribute with my stuff as an expert and yield from other experts posting there. 'Expert' can be relative sometimes, but you get the meaning.

It's also a very nice way of expanding your possibly investments. It's better to turn over 10x as much money on 2% yield (low number just to state the point) than just stick with the stuff you know and have a higher expectation, but much less turnover. I'm betting for money and not for %ROI.

I can't see anything wrong with buying/ selling picks as long as you have confidence that it will have positive expectation in the LONG run.

I do and haven't been disappointed yet.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's in it for the handicappers, assuming they really are this good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have numbers, but my guess is that the money some of these handicappers are making off of subscriptions rival, if not exceed the money they are making off of sports betting. For top services with lots of customers, their income from subscription fees probably vastly exceeds their profits from sports betting.

Again, I don't have hard numbers, but all of the services I work with are at LEAST dime bettors ($1000/unit, up to $8800+/bet). Subscription fees income for a top handicapper can easily trump the $200K+ in earnings they make off sports betting alone for a single year. I'm talking about some of the top services though. There are so many pretenders now on the Internet it's not even funny.

I love the sites claiming 90+% winning percentage. Those are funny.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:48 PM

what are the fees or the % of winnings that go to the handicapper

i once talked to some guy who said he wanted to give me picks for 50% of my profits.. i quickly said no cuase it sounded absurd but is this the norm?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are the fees or the % of winnings that go to the handicapper

i once talked to some guy who said he wanted to give me picks for 50% of my profits.. i quickly said no cuase it sounded absurd but is this the norm?

[/ QUOTE ]

50% cut is a joke - he's a dick trying to pull a scam. I think ~5-20% is reasonable.

The fees are flat - not a % of your winnings. So it depends on 1) How well a handicapper does for a particular sport and season 2) How much they charged you for the subscription.

Those 2 variables are extremeley... variable. Let's take one of the more profitable sports to bet on - NCAA ball. A good handicapper might charge, say $600 for the season. From my records, they seem to be averaging around 80 units of profit / handicapper for one season in this sport (other sports make much less). If you bet $50/unit, you will end up winning $4000, and paying $600, their cut ends up being 15%. At $100/unit, the season profit is $8000, their cut ends up being 7.5%. For a dime bettor, the profit is $80K, and the subscription fee ends up being only .75% of their earnings, such a negligible amount that some dime bettors go crazy with the subscriptions, purchasing every sport from every handicapper and riding the wave.

They are also somewhat negotiable, depending on your situation - if you are not a big-time bettor (dime bettor and up), maybe you have been a loyal customer, maybe you have been running poorly, etc...

I am a $50/unit and $100/unit bettor and I cringe even paying up to 20% of my earnings to the handicapper, but I can't really complain either. In the long run it's well worth it.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have exact win loss records for NCAA Ball, but the average for all 5 this last year was just over 60%, and well over 400 units across all 5 services. For JUST NCAA Ball. And they're doing it again in MLB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody does 60% over the long run. Nobody, not God, not Moses, not Allah, not SpongeBob, not Buffett. No one. See King Yao for more details.

I hit 67% during Bowl Season, just PM me to achieve similar results next year...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
My Bowl Pick of the Year was a good thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Yes yes, I know this is short term, c'mon.

I said over 60%, for 5 handicappers, for one season. I know that is short term. Two of the handicappers sustained 70% for the first 3/4 of the season pulling up the average. Two of the handicappers were up almost 150 units by February, which is insane, no matter how you spin it.

Since they are some of the top handicappers in the nation, they can sustain 56%+ over the long run in college ball. I wouldn't compare King Yao to them, although I don't doubt he is very good at what he does.

I'll keep an eye on your threads.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh please, please, PLEASE, tell us where to send our money. Please!

Or, just post their picks here every day.

Yeah, I thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM

How can you go this long and not even mention who the cappers are?