Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM

Default HIIT in a gym?

Joined a gym because it's getting too cold to workout in my garage. I've been doing the starting strength program and HIIT sprints, 30 seconds each on 30 seconds off. I usually do this in a field or parking lot but with winter coming this is getting tougher.

I'm trying to replace this with some form of cardio in the gym but everything I've tried sucks. I did 15 "sprints" on an exercise bike, elliptical, and rowing machine, and was barely out of breath after each. My legs were burning and like jello after these but I didn't feel much of a workout. Usually after the sprints I'm drooling, gasping for air, and can't even drive home until I sit down for about 5-10 minutes. The only thing that came close was running on the treadmill but I can't really sprint quickly on a treadmill. Any suggestions? what do people do that visit the gym regularly?

Thinking about switching to steady running for 30-40 minutes, maybe 2 min. sprints on the treadmill? What would be best for burning fat?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: HIIT in a gym?

I don't know what the "literature" answer is, and am not going to search-- but this is what I've come to understand: HIIT doesn't mean sprints. It's INTERVALS of ANYTHING at an effort level that can't be sustained for more than say, a minute. The work-to-rest ratio you should typically aim for is 1:1 or 1:2-- although, "Tabata Intervals", which are apparently magic, have a ratio at 2:1.

edit: And another thing I want to add. I don't know about sprinting more than once a week-- even if that is the only HIIT you do.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:01 PM

I've been told here that my routine on an elliptical is not HIIT, but it's pretty good anyway. I basically use one of the pre-set interval programs, which alternate 2 minutes going hard with 2 minutes at an easy pace. Although I push myself as hard as I can for the 2 minute fast portions, I understand this is not HIIT because true sprinting could not be kept up so long.

Still, I find it difficult to do for 20-30 minutes, which is what I aim for (sandwiched around 15 minutes of steady pace). I am basically out of breath each time the fast portion ends and the heart rate is quite high.

I would switch to shorter interval periods, to imitate HIIT better, but I don't know how to customize the machines in that manner.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 PM

try a rowing machine? know nothing about hiit, but i used to row and it gets you tired fast
Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: And another thing I want to add. I don't know about sprinting more than once a week-- even if that is the only HIIT you do.

[/ QUOTE ]
why's that?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why's that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a good reason other than I've been told that over the years-- that sprints should be held to a small part of overall running training. I think part of it is risk of injury, and the other part (wildly speculating) could be akin to why plyos should be incorporated so judiciously-- you can't train explosiveness when fatigue is present, and such training is much harder on the system than one may feel. But then again. I might just be repeating the equivalent of a wive's tale.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why's that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a good reason other than I've been told that over the years-- that sprints should be held to a small part of overall running training. I think part of it is risk of injury, and the other part (wildly speculating) could be akin to why plyos should be incorporated so judiciously-- you can't train explosiveness when fatigue is present, and such training is much harder on the system than one may feel. But then again. I might just be repeating the equivalent of a wive's tale.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I'm not clear what you mean by "sprints". Soccer players sprint many many times in practice/games, and usually train pretty often. Pretty sure you're aware of that so I'm sure you're not talking about something like that.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM

I use a rowing machine for sprints/interval training.

1 minute full out, 1 minute break. 2 set of 5.

If this isn't making you gasp for breath, then youa ren't doing it right.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 PM

Jammy,

I was considering using a rowing machine sometimes, just as a chance of pace from the elliptical. But I've never used one before and am curious about the impact.

Specifically, is a rowing machine hard on the back or knees? Or is it perhaps easier on the body than elliptical or running?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM

I've never had any problems with back or knees from a rowing machine, but I think its important to get the motion right.

Its kind of hard to explain without pictures, but the main thing is to use the legs first, then the back a bit, and then the arms, most of your power should come from your legs, with your arms and back just transferring the power.

Its quite hard work for your shoulders and upper back, but in a good way.

I'd google it and see if you can find some articles on technique, then try a few sessions where you work on form before trying out sprints or intervals.

The other thing, is its very easy to start doing bad technique when you start getting tired.