Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 AM

Default computer won\'t boot, blames keyboard, blames hard drive

I was playing poker this evening and just after closing down my tables, my mouse and keyboard stopped responding. They both plug into USB ports. Some popup messages came up saying that there was a failure with a USB device. The problem didn't fix itself on its own after a couple minutes and I couldn't do anything, so I pushed the power button to shut it down and reboot.

Upon rebooting, I get a screen with the following message:

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1990-2006 Dell Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Dell DXP051 Series
BIOS version A07
www.dell.com

Keyboard failure.
Drive 0 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-0
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

The keyboard doesn't respond. Usually there would be a green light lit up (for num lock or whatever) but it's all dim.

I plugged the mouse and keyboard into my laptop and they each functioned properly.

I did some googling and there was one suggestion that the hard drive might have become disconnected... and that seemed easy enough to check, so I fiddled with that a bit and the next time I turned the comp on, it still gave the "Keyboard failure" message but not the next two lines, and Windows booted up. But neither the mouse or keyboard worked (the green light did not come on either). I thought perhaps I'd plugged them into different USB ports since I hadn't really paid much attention to their arrangement, and perhaps they just weren't recognized... turned it off, turned it on again, and this time when Windows booted up, it went through a self-check thing where it scanned the hard disk and then went through a ton of lines of "Recovering orphaned file [something] to [something]". It said some other things too but it scrolled so fast I couldn't read them. This went on for several minutes, and then it said something about having corrected some problems, and rebooted. And now I'm right back at the same error message I was getting earlier, which I put in italics above.

I tried putting the Windows XP CD in the CD drive but it changed nothing (and by that I mean it's not getting to the point where Windows boots anyway so it ignores the CD).

I have a Dell XPS 400 that is 1.5 years old running XP Media Center edition. It's no longer covered by warranty.

After having written all this, I took out the Windows CD, tried turning it on again, and Windows booted up but once again I can't use the mouse or keyboard. I now unplugged them both, and got a message:

USB Device Not Recognized

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

This is one of the same messages I was getting earlier.

So anyway, turned it off, and now once again I can't even get Windows to boot.

I know very very little about how computers work or how to fix them... but if I'm given specific instructions on what to do I can do it. From what I've read, the problem is likely something with the motherboard. However, I have no idea how to identify the problem or fix it.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: computer won\'t boot, blames keyboard, blames hard drive

something probably corrupted the USB drivers. Do you have PS/2 ports on the system? If so you will probably need to get some USB to PS/2 adaptors and plug in that way and reload your chipset drivers.

This happened to me with two computer builds where the chipset drivers because currupt and the USB ports didnt work.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM

It appears that I do not have PS/2 ports.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:00 PM

I suppose I should also mention that I've tried turning on the computer with the mouse and keyboard both unplugged, and it still does the same thing.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:21 PM

That computer sounds very sick. Was the SATA cable acually disconnected? What computer are you using at the moment? I assume you're using the USB ports on the motherboard?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM

no, it wasn't

I'm using my laptop.

The computer has USB ports on the front and the back. I tried them both but it makes no difference.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 PM

When it stops doing anything on boot, what do the four lights on the front say?

It isn't sounding too good for your motherboard by the way.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this trend.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this trend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really really hate Dell.

Well soah, its not looking good for the hometeam. I'm guessing that you are having some issues with the controllers on your mb.

Just to confirm this you can't even enter your bios using the KB right?

As a last resort you could try to reset your bios by removing the battery on the motherboard then replacing it. I doubt this will work...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 PM

each time I've tried to boot it this afternoon (4 or 5 times) Windows has actually booted, so I can't answer right now about the lights on the front when it stops... they all blink a few times randomly when it first starts but then they stop after a few seconds

I cannot use the keyboard to enter bios or boot from cd or anything