Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 AM

Default x-IRS agent famous for protesting the I.T. found Guilty

http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd320.htm

im angry [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and sad [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: x-IRS agent famous for protesting the I.T. found Guilty

Angry and sad about what? Someone claiming to be excused of paying income taxes when almost every court decision in the last 50 years have been clear on the validity of income tax and who it applies to?

Newsflash: the laws of a country are not up for individual interpretation, its up to the courts to interpret. If you do not like how the courts interpret the laws then try to change the system, if you knowingly go against the interpretations made by court you will go to jail.

Nothing sad about that, its vital to any modern and civil society.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 AM

I'm delighted! Was she one of those people who was interviewed in Freedom to Fascism saying that she hadn't paid her taxes in years and the government hadn't done anything about it? In retrospect, I bet she considers that a miscalculation.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm delighted! Was she one of those people who was interviewed in Freedom to Fascism saying that she hadn't paid her taxes in years and the government hadn't done anything about it? In retrospect, I bet she considers that a miscalculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, the lesson learned is this:

If you're breaking US law, don't conduct well published interviews documenting that fact.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're breaking US law, don't conduct well published interviews documenting that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she needed for this to happen to understand that I think shes applicable for paying idiot tax as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If she needed for this to happen to understand that I think shes applicable for paying idiot tax as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once heard Willie Nelson say in an interview that while he had the utmost respect for cops, he felt his bus was searched far too often during traffic stops.

Whether you agree with the war on drugs or not, hopefully we can all agree that, while marijuana is still illegal, you should probably not go on national TV and give interviews in nationally read publications speaking about your illegal marijuana use if you're a celebrity.

Same concept applies here.

However, getting back to the topic at hand, I feel she was rightfully convicted. I feel income taxes are unnecessary and that the way that the government wastes American tax dollars is ridiculous, but I also agree with the above poster that laws are not up for individual interpretation. If you feel the income tax laws are unjust, you should do something about it, but you should also continue to abide by the law until something is done.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel income taxes are unnecessary and that the way that the government wastes American tax dollars is ridiculous, but I also agree with the above poster that laws are not up for individual interpretation. If you feel the income tax laws are unjust, you should do something about it, but you should also continue to abide by the law until something is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lack the ecomonic knowledge needed to say whether or not income taxes are necessary for the United States. That government wastes tax-money is probably true, but have less to do with the validity of the income tax itself.

Im just amazed by people like this woman who complains when she is sentenced for actions that the courts clearly have stated are illegal. Some argue that the income tax is unconstitutional, from what Ive read on the various amendments I respectfully disagree. And since the vast majority of elected officials have chosen to upheld the income tax and have not challenged it, and since the courts repedatly have stated that the income tax is in line with the constitution I feel no pain for those who are arrested for tax evasion.

If people feel that it is unconstitutional then by all means vote for whoever wants to get rid of the income tax, but most people have repedatly voted for politicians that have chosen to upheld it. Im not against peaceful civil disobediance, but as long as they brake the current laws of the nation I also think there need to be some penalties handed out to those who choose to go that way.

When the people systematically vote for politicians who are in favor of keeping the income tax and when the courts time after time rules that the income tax is constitutional then you have little choice but to suck it up or go to jail, until you have managed to change the system.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:06 PM

This is why I think all of the "the inome tax is illegal and/or unconstitutional!" arguments for not paying taxes are foolish. It doesn't matter. They have the guns. Duh.

The way to challenge this income tax is on principles, not [censored] technicalities.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sitting at the witness stand, with large books of federal regulations and the tax code in front of her, Jackson said she could not find any section of the tax code that held her liable for income taxes.

"I'd done a lot of research and I was just about sure," she testified. "I did not have to file an income tax return."

During cross-examination, assistant U.S. Attorney Richard Langway read Section 1 of the tax code to Jackson, who is married. A tax is imposed on "every married individual," Langway read, asking Jackson how she could not be an individual.

"I couldn't find the definition of 'individual,' " Jackson replied.

Lowell H. Becraft Jr., one of Jackson's attorneys, told jurors they should not convict her of willfully disobeying the law because Jackson had a "good faith" reason to believe she did not have to file taxes. He reminded the jury Jackson attended Tuskegee University in Alabama and the University of Georgia, raised a family and lived the life of an ordinary American.

"You may have never heard of this before," Becraft said. "To you, it may sound wild. It may sound crazy. ... But she believes she's not required to file tax returns."

Langway called Jackson's reasoning "cockamamie" and "absurd."

[/ QUOTE ]

Atlanta Journal-Constitution article

So it seems her defense was not that income taxes are illegal, but that she believes she doesn't have to pay them.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A tax is imposed on "every married individual," Langway read, asking Jackson how she could not be an individual.

"I couldn't find the definition of 'individual,' " Jackson replied.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...sems like they should try to play the insanity-card.