Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM

Default **Offical (or ..is it?) Phenomenon [tv show] Thread***

So did anyone else besides me catch this last night? Our old friend [censored] used to love this kind of stuff (or at least to dispel it)
The show is ok so far, I also like trying to find the tricks some of it is easy to pick up on (like the dude with the steel traps) Others not so much (like the ghost touching dude)

Overall I though it was ok, nothing made me go WOWOWOW the Nail gun guy was ok but hes picking up voice tells and listening to the guns close is obv too but he at least had an act.

The dude with the phone books sorta sucked balls.

Next week there is a 2 hour Halloween special .spooky isn't it

So anyone else with me on this?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: **Offical (or ..is it?) Phenomenon [tv show] Thread***

I wanted to watch this, but for some god awful reason local NBC preempted prime time TV for an exhibition basketball game.

What did Mike Super do? He did a show on the cruise I just went on, he was pretty entertaining.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 PM

i agree with the "nothing made me go WOWOWOW", but i'll be watching next week at least.

the wolftrap guy was almost painful to watch, and not because his hand was in a wolftrap. he couldn't get the gay guy to go along with anything, and wtf with naming a celebrity too? it just made no sense.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What did Mike Super do? .

[/ QUOTE ]

he didn't go yet,
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So did anyone else besides me catch this last night? Our old friend [censored] used to love this kind of stuff (or at least to dispel it)
The show is ok so far, I also like trying to find the tricks some of it is easy to pick up on (like the dude with the steel traps) Others not so much (like the ghost touching dude)

Overall I though it was ok, nothing made me go WOWOWOW the Nail gun guy was ok but hes picking up voice tells and listening to the guns close is obv too but he at least had an act.

The dude with the phone books sorta sucked balls.

Next week there is a 2 hour Halloween special .spooky isn't it

So anyone else with me on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my take on how it all went down:
1)Body-part touching: Carmen & Ross were completely in on it. Either they knew ahead of time, or there was a confederate in the audience telling them.
2)He tested the small trap, not the large one. Clearly it wasn't going to catch his arm.
3)Nail Gun: he lifted all the guns to test the weight of the guns. Those are 20-nail shells. There is a considerable weight difference.
4)When he used that white card in his hand to show Rachel Hunter (good god, how amazing are her legs?????) which number was being pointed to, that card had the fake phone number written on it.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM

What were your thoughts on each person's performance?
1)Ghost-Touching:
-Good stage presence. Solid trick. Decent WOW factor

2)Animal Trap:
-Poor stage presence. Ross's gay antics helped to sell the WOW factor. The trick was weak.

3)Nail Gun:
-Great stage presence. Great attire! Aside to coming out to "The Final Countdown", he really had the look of a successful magician down pat. Great WOW factor. Definitely Alliance-Approved!!!

4)Phone Book:
-(What Criss Angel said)

Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM

The host is a cheeseball. Chris Angel is full of himself. Uli Roth or whatever his name is is funny to look at, and his stares into the camera to make us guess what shape he wrote down on the card was priceless.

The touch guy was pretty good--I actually don't think Carmen and the gay guy were in on it. But it's obviously a trick of some sort. I've seen it done before somewhere. But I don't know how it's done.

Wolf trap is as someone earlier said--he broke a pencil with the small trap. Large trap was set to close just enough on his hand to grip it without injury.

Nail gun guy gets points for showmanship and for the fact that a real loaded nail gun was armed and touching his skull a few times on live tv. But besides the weight and listening, there are so many ways he could know the answer: small hidden camera on the table shows partner in audience which gun is loaded, then partner signals magician. Or the guns themselves have a tiny signal showing which one is loaded.

I didn't think the last guy was awful, but I've definitely seen that bit in Vegas before. Didn't both "masters" hate it, but then the cheeseball host said "one thumb up, one thumb down"?

Anyway, I give the show thumbs up.

Oh yeah, I guessed nail gun 5 and I also guessed the star. I suppose I didn't guess them; I...felt them.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM

Man this show is awful, but I can't stop watching for some reason. Oh well I've got an intestinal virus and nothing better to do to help me convalesce.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 AM

How is the trick with the yin yang done? I was hoping someone would do something like it so I could ask. There are similar tricks that I've seen often enough that they've lost their luster, but I still don't know how it's done: the "I thought of this stuff and put it on this paper that is sealed in this envelope trick." I imagine that is slight of hand?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 AM

What if all the guns were loaded and he didn't pull the triggers. The only reason we think he pulled the triggers was because of the pneumatic air sound, and that could be fake.