Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
Jury just awarded the RIAA $220k for 24 songs that a lady had simply shared on [censored]. They didn't show that she had gotten the songs illegally. In fact, I'm pretty sure she had purchased the 24 tracks.

[/ QUOTE ]Doesn't matter. The copyright law prevents unauthorized *distribution*. That's what she was accused of doing--distributing.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure there are lots of songs that are worth way way more than 9250$. Wonder how much money Beatles "Yesterday" is worth, or what about Bing Crosbys "White Christmas"?

This woman gave away stuff she didnt have the rights to. Are you against copyrights and patents?

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't prove she did this at all. Are you against due process?

*edit* obviously due process isn't technically the correct term her, but you get the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I have this right?

She copied a bunch of songs and gave them away for free, correct?

Is there a link to a court summary to this case? I am interested because I am a weirdo I and I enjoy copyright law.

For my general opinion: See my loc., which, incidentally is why I put it there. I am a member of ASCAP and a published writer.

Many court cases turn out strange for sure. If this is a far-fetched as I am understanding, this case will surely see the higher courts.

EDIT: It would be strange because they had "no proof." I don't believe that she was sophisticated as to erase her HD every week.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:20 PM

So, what happens if you tell the RIAA to shove it and not pay these "fees"? You go to jail right?

Seriously, Land of the Free, I love it.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM

Yeah, and if you kill a hooker, same thing. Jail. WTF?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hoo boy, this thread could get unwieldy.

The RIAA is dumb; the genie is out of the bottle. I've continued to download songs for free well after Napster and other [censored] sites were shut down, as I'm sure many other non-stupid people have done. However, the RIAA's scare tactics and policies may work with casual internet users much like the UIEGA scared off plenty of casual poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I used to DL but I quit because I felt guilty/because iTunes is decent.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 PM

This case was RE-[censored]-TARDED.

The woman couldn't afford an expert. Her lawyer HAD TO ASK THE RIAA LAWYERS HOW TO USE HIS OWN LASER POINTER. He has no clue how explain any of the evidence and basically said "I don't know, maybe it was those damn teenage hackers outside her window!!"

Eventually someone will come along with the money to present a proper case and this RIAA witchhunt will stop. They are within their rights to protect their IP but the way they are going about it is ridiculous.

Luckily this case was so bad that it won't set any kind of precedent in terms of giving approval to the RIAA's techniques of suing and threatening everything that moves.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what happens if you tell the RIAA to shove it and not pay these "fees"? You go to jail right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it must be a dictatorship when you are not free to give away what isnt yours.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hoo boy, this thread could get unwieldy.

The RIAA is dumb; the genie is out of the bottle. I've continued to download songs for free well after Napster and other [censored] sites were shut down, as I'm sure many other non-stupid people have done. However, the RIAA's scare tactics and policies may work with casual internet users much like the UIEGA scared off plenty of casual poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I used to DL but I quit because I felt guilty/because iTunes is decent.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just don't like iTunes. Maybe because I'm annoyed that when I download Quicktime for a PC they force all of that onto me and try to make it the default for all sorts of file types. So I've stuck to things that would get censored here and just use Windows Explorer to sort through my stuff.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, yeah, punishing people for breaking laws, [censored] fascists.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it must be a dictatorship when you are not free to give away what isnt yours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you understand that the RIAA did not prove she did anything you are assuming she did? Do you understand what 'innocent until proven guilty' means?