Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 11:44 PM

Default quick checkup - AK blind battle vs probable 2p2er

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $3/$6 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $990.90
Hero (BB): $775.15
UTG: $478.05
UTG+1: $71.90
MP: $777.50
CO: $597.00
BTN: $146.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 Players)
5 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $18.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $54.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $160.00</font>, Hero calls $106.00

Flop: ($320) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $200.00</font>

this is a full ring hand but I'm posting it here since one extra guy folding ahead of us don't mean jack [censored] about playing out the rest of the hand

I've never seen this guy before but so far his play has seemed more or less TAG and his avatar is a picture of aba.

He's at a couple of my tables to my right and this is maybe the fourth time I have threebet him, although that's over a large enough sample of hands that it's not like I'm just relentlessly pounding on him, and I haven't been getting out of line vs anyone else at these tables either. He has folded to each of my threebets thus far. I think he's reaching the point where he's ready to make a stand against me but with our stack sizes here I'm not too thrilled about getting it all in preflop... so... I "float" him. Yes, no?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: quick checkup - AK blind battle vs probable 2p2er

i think shoving is much better preflop, but yeah definitely bet the flop, 200 is good
Old 09-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Looks ok, but I just shove the flop since I hate decisions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 12:32 AM

Reraising preflop to $450 is totally hot. Esp given history.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think shoving is much better preflop, but yeah definitely bet the flop, 200 is good

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-29-2007, 12:59 AM

Ur not that deep - and ur giving him the chance to hit a flop that he may go with. I"d just reraise pre.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:14 AM

just to be clear, betting the flop in a spot like this was part of my preflop plan, so I'm asking about the preflop plan rather than the flop

the basic idea here is that calling his fourbet looks really scary and he should expect me to have a relatively big pocket pair that I'm going to jam on a safe flop, so on flops like this he has to just give up if he was on a bluff.

I forgot to mention this but he fourbet very quickly which I thought meant he didn't have a borderline type of hand like QQ or JJ, I figured either AA/KK or something he was getting frisky with (including AK I guess)

this leads to the next point which is that if he's on air and I flop a pair he might try to represent my hand because he doesn't think AK is in my range to flatcall here... so basically I'm hoping that I can get him to play his hand completely backwards (bluffing when I hit and giving up when I miss). And if he really has a big hand then I can get away on the flop for kind of cheap.

this is just something I've toyed around with a little bit against threebets since no one expects an Axx or Kxx flop to hit you when you've just called them... so you can get people to stack off light because it looks like you're just making a move

eh, I'm kinda rambling now
Old 09-29-2007, 01:24 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

I like your thinking and like all streets
Old 09-29-2007, 01:44 AM

soah,

while that's a great thought, your flat call still looks like AA/KK. AK hits the same flops those hands do, so the deception factor just isn't high enough to justify trying to mix it up with that hand. Just 5 bet like the rest of us.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:02 AM

if i had a huge hand here and i was him, this is what i'd do.

reraising pf better obv.