Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 09-20-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Its Hard to Decipher....

Unless you're a biblical scholar...
http://www.100prophecies.org/prophecy.htm

http://www.allaboutreligion.org/messianic-jew.htm
Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Its Hard to Decipher....

I enjoyed this one...

[ QUOTE ]
6. Ezekiel predicted when Israel would be re-established
Bible passage: Ezekiel 4:3-6
Written: between 593-571 BC
Fulfilled: 1948
In Ezekiel 4:3-6, the prophet said the Jews, who had lost control of their homeland, would be punished for 430 years. This prophecy, according to Bible scholar Grant Jeffrey, pinpointed the 1948 rebirth of Israel. Here's a summary of Jeffrey's theory:

1. Ezekiel said the Jews were to be punished for 430 years because they had turned away from God. As part of the punishment, the Jews lost control of their homeland to Babylon. Many Jews were taken as captives to Babylon.

2. Babylon was later conquered by Cyrus in 539 BC. Cyrus allowed the Jews to leave Babylon and to return to their homeland. But, only a small number returned. The return had taken place sometime around 536 BC, about 70 years after Judah lost independence to Babylon.

3. Because most of the exiles chose to stay in pagan Babylon rather than return to the Holy Land, the remaining 360 years of their punishment was multiplied by 7. The reason is explained in Bible's book of Leviticus. (Leviticus 26:18, 26:21, 26:24 and 26:28). In Leviticus, it says that if the people did not repent while being punished, the punishment would be multiplied by 7. And, by staying in pagan Babylon, most exiles were refusing to repent.

4. So, if you take the remaining 360 years of punishment and multiply by 7, you get 2,520 years. But, Jeffrey says those years are based on an ancient 360-day lunar calendar. If those years are adjusted to the modern solar calendar, the result is 2,484 years.

5. And, there were exactly 2,484 years from 536 BC to 1948, which is the year that Israel regained independence.
- Copyright 100prophecies.org
Ezekiel 4:3-6
(In this Bible passage, Ezekiel is asked by God to symbolically act out the 430 years of punishment)
… Then take an iron pan, place it as an iron wall between you and the city and turn your face toward it. It will be under siege, and you shall besiege it. This will be a sign to the house of Israel. "Then lie on your left side and put the sin of the house of Israel upon yourself. You are to bear their sin for the number of days you lie on your side. I have assigned you the same number of days as the years of their sin. So for 390 days you will bear the sin of the house of Israel. "After you have finished this, lie down again, this time on your right side, and bear the sin of the house of Judah. I have assigned you 40 days, a day for each year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 PM

in my opinion this is inappropriate. if you want to advocate religion in the course of debating topics relevant to science, math, or philosophy, that's fine. this is no different than spam. you should at least offer some sort of comment or question.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Sorry to offend you Sephus...I just thought some people might find this enlightening and encouraging...perhaps you are right...But it is meant to be educational...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Are you willing to get into prophecies and the flaws inherent in them? Are you going to claim you don't need to think critically because you have personal experience to guide you again?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 PM

I think the first link was ok, a fairly neutral description of what a prophecy is, and even though clearly a theist view it can def have some educational value. The 2nd link was very 'preachy' for my taste.

But like sephus said, you might want to have a question or statement somewhere. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in my opinion this is inappropriate. if you want to advocate religion in the course of debating topics relevant to science, math, or philosophy, that's fine. this is no different than spam. you should at least offer some sort of comment or question.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, it seemed to speak for itself. My comment is that I find it amazing that

"… Then take an iron pan, place it as an iron wall between you and the city and turn your face toward it. It will be under siege, and you shall besiege it. This will be a sign to the house of Israel. "Then lie on your left side and put the sin of the house of Israel upon yourself. You are to bear their sin for the number of days you lie on your side. I have assigned you the same number of days as the years of their sin. So for 390 days you will bear the sin of the house of Israel. "After you have finished this, lie down again, this time on your right side, and bear the sin of the house of Judah. I have assigned you 40 days, a day for each year."

is presented as a prediction of when Israel will be re-established. To me, it seems like fitting the facts to the text rather than the other way around. Especially given the multiplication by seven plus adjustment for change in the calendars. I wonder if the maths is even correct..

EDIT: Actually, the maths isnt even correct - pretty sloppy.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Its hard to say anything...Looks like the evidence speaks for itself...It's something to meditate on now more than debate...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 PM

heh sorry bunny, i was talking to OP and i used quick reply.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its hard to say anything...Looks like the evidence speaks for itself...It's something to meditate on now more than debate...

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why this thread is so offensive.