Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: NHL 08 vs 2K8

God, I was gonna pick up 08 but then IGN had to go and get 2K8 a decent review (even after 1UP thrashed it) and I've always liked the 2K series better so I don't know. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] DECISIONS!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Gameplay will probably be better with 2k8 multiplayer wise.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Alright, I've picked up 08 and have a few actual impressions. First game I played was an AHL game between Albany and Rochester, lost 4-2. There's definitely a difference between AHL players and NHL players, a little bit slower and don't have the same deking abilities of the NHL stars. This was at superstar difficulty. Next, tried out the goalie controls in an all star game, very dissapointed in this mode. Unlike the normal game, there is a definite framerate drop while playing with the goalie camera. It's hard enough to try and stop a deflection through a screen without having to deal with the game hiccuping in the middle of it. I also found myself out of position quite a bit, something that would probably get better with more practice but, due to the framerate issues, I probably will never get. It's too bad, I was looking forward to playing goal every once in a while. I then tried out a bunch of the drills, shooting for the corners is pretty boring but the skating drill is worth trying a few times, you can really tell the difference between the 07 and 08 skating engines. Finally, I just finished a game between the Rangers and the Flyers, winning 4-1 buoyed by a Jagr hat trick. Little disappointing, no hats were tossed on the ice, don't know why they took that out from 07.

Overall, I'm pretty excited. I must have played 40-50 periods of the demo, and you can immediately tell the difference between the pro difficulty and superstar. Unlike NCAA though, where higher difficulty just means that college linebackers have eyes in the back of their head and have better ball skills than Champ Bailey, I didn't see any evidence of the computer cheating. They played better positionally, played the body better when faced with the one on one dekes, and really made you pay if you got out of position defensively. Gone are the days when most of your goals come from making a quick deke to send the defense flying to the boards and then waltz in on a breakaway, you actually have to move the puck around a little bit and try and find the open man in the slot. I think I only had one or two breakaways in my first 2 games, playing with 5 minute periods, and they came off of actual forechecking and neutral zone turnovers, not stupidity from the AI. I do think that the defense could be a little more aggressive, even on superstar it's a touch too easy to set up your offense in the zone and work the cycle, but hopefully sliders will alleviate some of that. So, initial thumbs up to EA's game.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM

I think i might go with EA this year then.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM

dudd, what system were you playing on?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 PM

360. Everything is buttery smooth except for the goalie camera, it sucks.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 PM

through a site similiar to e bay i bought 2k8 for $35 without trying it first.

i'm always preferred 2k > ea in terms of sports games. i bought it for the xbox 360, my gf is currently playing Bioshock and we're going to see a movie very soon.

after i play 2k8 for a bit, i will tell you guys what i think.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God, I was gonna pick up 08 but then IGN had to go and get 2K8 a decent review (even after 1UP thrashed it) and I've always liked the 2K series better so I don't know. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] DECISIONS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Idea: Rent them both, then lay down your cash for one
Old 09-13-2007, 12:10 AM

Wow, I love 2k8. I love the little things in this game. Face-offs are so great, I've been waved out of the circle (haven't seen that in a hockey game yet), every face-off feels like a battle. quite often the centers wrestle with the puck and tip it a forward, or maybe the forward skates in and takes the puck.

2k8 feels as realistic as a hockey game can be. the graphics are sharp and the gameplay is smooth.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 AM

Any major differences from 2k7 that would warrant a purchase?