Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Default big wager vs me gaining 20lbs- curious

Some one bet me 10k if I can gain 20 lbs in 3 months. but cant just be a gut, have to keep 6pack, lean mass buff look.

im 6' 160lb, no body fat, and worked out on and off before.
Ive had a trainer before and prob. gained 5-6 pounds after 5 months of on/off working out (poker hectic schedule/traveling). Im not a complete noob when it comes to hitting the gym, and dont need to start from scratch.

thing with me I have a problem eating a lot (I eat 3 big meals no problem with snacks in between but dont think I can handle eating a big meal every 2 hours), and I have a very high metabolism.

ive never really kept up a steady schedule of working out without giving it up after a month or so. I see this as a nice opportunity to hit the gym and get bigger.

given the following info. should I take the bet or pass?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: big wager vs me gaining 20lbs- curious

Unless you plan on taking roids, then pass. Gaining 10lbs of muscle in 3 months is a very impressive feat; 20 just doesn't happen.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Your post seems to be missing significant details or seems off, but, regardless, this excerpt from a link I posted in another thread may help you:

[ QUOTE ]
It began with studies that were the inspiration of Dr. Ethan Sims at the University of Vermont, who asked what would happen if thin people who had never had a weight problem deliberately got fat.

His subjects were prisoners at a nearby state prison who volunteered to gain weight. With great difficulty, they succeeded, increasing their weight by 20 percent to 25 percent. But it took them four to six months, eating as much as they could every day. Some consumed 10,000 calories a day, an amount so incredible that it would be hard to believe, were it not for the fact that there were attendants present at each meal who dutifully recorded everything the men ate.

Once the men were fat, their metabolisms increased by 50 percent. They needed more than 2,700 calories per square meter of their body surface to stay fat but needed just 1,800 calories per square meter to maintain their normal weight.

When the study ended, the prisoners had no trouble losing weight. Within months, they were back to normal and effortlessly stayed there.

[/ QUOTE ] Excerpt from article linked to in the obesity thread
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Yes, if you are willing to juice.

You're a massive dog even with juicetarding. Keeping a 6 pack is a dubious condition. Maybe a bodyfat test would be better.

I'd lay -500 on you doing this with teh stuff.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 PM

staying lean and gaining 20lbs are alot different then gaining 20lbs of muscle. What are the stipulations? Is he just going to observe by eye if you are lean enough?

With creatine you should be able to gain 10 lbs in the first three weeks just from water saturation alone. I think we need more info on how this will be judged, to determine if its doable.

I gained 20 lean pounds (no noticable fat gain) my first three months of working out, but i was rail thin and had never touched a weight before.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Your screwed bra
Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With creatine you should be able to gain 10 lbs in the first three weeks just from water saturation alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll wager that you can't. Unless you cheat the test or are a fasting vegan.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post seems to be missing significant details or seems off, but, regardless, this excerpt from a link I posted in another thread may help you:

[ QUOTE ]
It began with studies that were the inspiration of Dr. Ethan Sims at the University of Vermont, who asked what would happen if thin people who had never had a weight problem deliberately got fat.

His subjects were prisoners at a nearby state prison who volunteered to gain weight. With great difficulty, they succeeded, increasing their weight by 20 percent to 25 percent. But it took them four to six months, eating as much as they could every day. Some consumed 10,000 calories a day, an amount so incredible that it would be hard to believe, were it not for the fact that there were attendants present at each meal who dutifully recorded everything the men ate.

Once the men were fat, their metabolisms increased by 50 percent. They needed more than 2,700 calories per square meter of their body surface to stay fat but needed just 1,800 calories per square meter to maintain their normal weight.

When the study ended, the prisoners had no trouble losing weight. Within months, they were back to normal and effortlessly stayed there.

[/ QUOTE ] Excerpt from article linked to in the obesity thread

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to show this to every [censored] who is like "LOL, you have to try to weigh <200... Haha you puny feking runt."
Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, if you are willing to juice.

You're a massive dog even with juicetarding. Keeping a 6 pack is a dubious condition. Maybe a bodyfat test would be better.

I'd lay -500 on you doing this with teh stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of hard to put numbers on this that work. Muscle gains for a total gain of 20#s at different bodyfat%s:

%10 - 18# muscle
%15 - 17# muscle
Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 PM

Take this bet, I did this pretty easily in 6 weeks. Just make sure to take in alot of calories and work out 4-5 times a week. Big compound movements etc...read around the forum and you'll see it isn't hard. Even if only half the weight is muscle, you'll look alot better. No one stipulated the 20lbs had to be muscle, his body composition will change and this won't be too hard.

Edit: I have trouble eating alot too. Thing is I eat the same as I always did, I just average 4 big protein shakes a day that I didn't have before. This is what changes things and they aren't too hard to get down. Adds 150g protein and ~2000+ cals per day and this makes the difference.