Love them 111 67.27%
Wont change the station 34 20.61%
Dislike them 8 4.85%
Cant stand them 12 7.27%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Gauging Ron Paul Support

owsley,

There have been previous super solid libertarian candidates like Harry Browne for example.

The difference between then and now is mass communication (THE INTERNETS).
Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Browne got .4% and .5% of the vote in 96 and 00 respectively. Paul is polling at 2% (which will clearly go up as the cycle goes on and more people learn about him), so wouldn't that alone suggest that Paul can't be written off to the same fate as Browne? I have no illusions about what number of votes Paul will end up with, but looking at the bigger picture his candidacy will be a big improvement relative to past ones given the characteristics of this election. I am not saying there aren't a long list of past libertarian candidates who have failed but what I am saying is that it's inaccurate to lump Paul in with all of those guys, for reasons I listed above (and the interent of course, how could I forget the biggest one).
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gauging Ron Paul Support on the 2+2 Politics forum which is chock full of libertarians far greater than their proportion in the general public.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYT

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how popular libertarianism is becoming among college students and young people? They are disgusted with Bush and realize that the Democrats are a hopeless party of failure. When the election cycle hits its peak Paul is going to really make an impact nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

All these kids that realize Democrats are a hopeless party of failures certainly are giving alot of time and money to Obama.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You keep saying that this election cycle isn't going to be any different than the the last handful and that Paul won't do any better than the last group of libertarian prospects, but what previous libertarian candidates are you comparing him to?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of them. Including Paul 20 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was the last equivalent version of Paul to fail? Apparently there are tons of similar failures so it should be easy to list one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean specifically a libertarian running in the GOP primary? I don't know of any, because I don't know why a libertarian would think he has a chance this way. But all libertarian presidential candidates have basically been the same, and they all get basically the same votes.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:08 PM

No, no, no.

That was fun.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:16 PM

" I don't know of any, because I don't know why a libertarian would think he has a chance this way. "

Goldwater baby.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You keep saying that this election cycle isn't going to be any different than the the last handful and that Paul won't do any better than the last group of libertarian prospects, but what previous libertarian candidates are you comparing him to?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of them. Including Paul 20 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was the last equivalent version of Paul to fail? Apparently there are tons of similar failures so it should be easy to list one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean specifically a libertarian running in the GOP primary? I don't know of any, because I don't know why a libertarian would think he has a chance this way. But all libertarian presidential candidates have basically been the same, and they all get basically the same votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ronald Reagan?
Barry Goldwater?
Richard Nixon?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gauging Ron Paul Support on the 2+2 Politics forum which is chock full of libertarians far greater than their proportion in the general public.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYT

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how popular libertarianism is becoming among college students and young people? They are disgusted with Bush and realize that the Democrats are a hopeless party of failure. When the election cycle hits its peak Paul is going to really make an impact nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're rapidly becoming my favorite Politics poster, sir.

Cody
Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Leveling?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Leveling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and No,
If you search his stuff in the past few weeks including his post in the thread in ATF, he's very consistant, very firely, and very "AC has no holes, 100% great mega-cool awesome". Also the bit about how ACists and Statists are different was classic.

I like the action and the fire, so no, in terms of quality and interest not even close, but in terms of entertainment value, it's him and Niels on top. I suppose I see them much the same way they claim to see Jogger, all Point of view really.

Cody