Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Default 50NL- JJ OOP Street By Street

Ok, I'd like to take this hand street by street because I was really uncertain about all of my decisions and I never felt like I had a solid plan. The is mainly because UTG+1 was very loose (45/20) and bad at poker, so I knew going in it was going to be difficult to figure out where I was in the hand.

First Decision- PF:

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $98.20
UTG+1: $56.70
MP1: $9
CO: $30.90
Button: $23.65
Hero: $52.45
BB: $10

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, Hero ????

My thoughts here- I figured that even with villain raising a limper I am still pretty far ahead of his range. With him being so loose, there's a good argument for raising to isolate rather than calling and inviting a big multiway pot. With QQ I'd certainly raise to isolate, and with TT I'd call and play for set value. JJ seems kind of borderline to me. I'm also OOP, so building a big pot with a villain who will be hard to read might not be my best course of action. OTOH, playing for set value against a villain who might not have much seems like I might be de-valuing my hand. Finally, I hate getting 4bet here. Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: 50NL- JJ OOP Street By Street

3 betting is definetely better here, OOP, with a caller in between, and against this type of villain. Also its 7 handed, this is an auto 3bet imo.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Make it 8$.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it 8$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, against loose players JJ is huge, and since they are loose I would want to 3-bet 4-5x his bet here....
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM

I agree that with JJ you could go either way (calling/raising) because you will be OOP for the rest of the hand. Here I think the decision comes down to any reads on how aggressive/passive he is after the flop. Any reads?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here I think the decision comes down to any reads on how aggressive/passive he is after the flop. Any reads?

[/ QUOTE ]Villain is not hyper aggressive, but he will make loose calls. Like most players, he'll bet if he feels he has the advantage and fold if he thinks he's beat. The difference between him and better players is that he is not good at assessing his position in the hand (which, of course, makes assessing MY position in the hand difficult as well).
Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 PM

OK, so I elected to call. I think I agree that a raise probably would have been better, but at the time I felt like it was marginal either way. If he had not been raising over a limper I probably would have raised, but I felt like the fact that he was raising over a player already in the pot MIGHT narrow his range slightly upward, and that pushed me to just call and make the hand less volatile.

Flop decision:

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $98.20
UTG+1: $56.70
MP1: $9
CO: $30.90
Button: $23.65
Hero: $52.45
BB: $10

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8.5, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $5.5</font>, Button folds, Hero ????

Ok, so I checked because we are 4 to this flop, and while I'm still ahead of UTG+1 range, I have no idea about the other two. Since I'm 90% certain that UTG+1 will bet if I check, I figure I'll get another crack at betting this round, but after seeing what UTG and the button do. If anyone disagrees with this check, I'm interested.

Anyway, so now that I've checked, the button has folded, and UTG doesn't look particularly strong, what's the play? I'm still well ahead of UTG+1's range, but he could easily have overs here. Do I want to raise and charge him, or call and keep the pot small?

Note: I do not have a good read on whether he'll fire a second barrel with overs here on the turn.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:23 PM

Since you were certain he would bet I like the check. I'd now raise it to $15.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:30 PM

I'd raise the flop. I'd also raise pre-flop because it makes decisions on the flop alot easier.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 PM

Well I agree with reraise PF here, but since you didn't definately must repop on flop. And 15ish looks good to me.