Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Trade ideas...lets see what we can come up with

[ QUOTE ]
YAY [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Gold, Silver Fall as Higher Interest Rates May Pare Demand

By Choy Leng Yeong

June 12 (Bloomberg) -- Gold fell, resuming a decline that sent prices last week to their lowest level since March, on concern that higher global interest rates may cut demand for the metal as an alternative investment. Silver also dropped.

Gold fell 3.9 percent last week, the biggest drop in three months, after the European Central Bank and the Reserve Bank of New Zealand raised rates. Holding gold becomes less attractive when rates rise because the metal has no fixed returns. U.S. Treasury yields rose today after China and Japan showed consumer and producer prices rising, renewing speculation that faster global inflation may prompt central banks to raise rates.

``The climbing Treasury yields could keep gold prices a little lower,'' said Michael K. Smith, president of T&K Futures and Options Inc. in Port St. Lucie, Florida. ``Higher rates might bolster the dollar and keep inflation away. No inflation is bad for gold.''

Gold futures for August delivery fell $5.90, or 0.9 percent, to $653.10 an ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, after dropping as low as $649.50. The price on June 8 touched $647.80, the lowest since March 16.

Silver for July delivery fell 18.5 cents, or 1.4 percent, to $13.09 an ounce. The metal plunged 3.3 percent on June 8, the biggest decline for a most-active contract since March 2. It fell 5.1 percent last week.

The yield on the 10-year bond rose 6 basis points to 5.22 percent at 1:29 p.m. in New York, according to bond broker Cantor Fitzgerald LP.

Dollar Rising

The dollar rose to near a two-month high against the euro today and has climbed for a fifth day, the longest winning run since October, as speculation increased that the Federal Reserve will hold interest rates steady this year.

``You're going to make more money in agriculture than in gold,'' Jim Rogers, chairman of Beeland Interests Inc., said yesterday in an interview. ``I would worry about gold.''

Traders assigned a 44 percent chance that the Fed will raise rates 25 basis points by December as of yesterday, compared with no chance a month ago, according to options on Fed funds futures.

``If the interest rates get high enough, people would just go for the guaranteed rate of return versus the speculative one, gold,'' Smith said. ``Until the market absorbs all the negative information, I won't start recommending silver and gold again. Grain is where the action is for me.''

A futures contract is an obligation to buy or sell a commodity at a set price for delivery by a specific date.

To contact the reporter on this story: Choy Leng Yeong in Seattle at clyeong@bloomberg.net .

Last Updated: June 12, 2007 14:15 EDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

EDIT: i think it would only be gentlemanly of me to offer you a buy out of $75 this early on. global rates are sooo unlikely to fall in the next 6 months (while chinese & other emerging mkt inflation will only push rates higher) that i should offer you the buy out option. lemme knwo Mr. Now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Now,

to help you in your decision, if you have a 50% chance of being right, your expectation would be:

$48.82 (assuming 5 % interest rate and the time from june 12th to dec 8th 2007)

so you should be indifferent between paying that amt or taking the 50/50 gamble.

at $75 payout, you would be indifferent between paying me that amt and gambling wiht me if your expected probability of being wrong was 76.82% (note: i picked a $75 buyout without doing the simple math so that # was the probability i just backed out).

so if you feel that your probability of being wrong is less than the above %, you should'nt take my buyout offer.

if you feel you are more likely to be wrong than the above figure indicates, you should ship me the $75 now.

(note: this assumes you are 100% risk neutral...you may, however, enjoy the uncertainty of the gamble for such a small friendly wager and turn down the buyout offer on that account

further, it assumes that you agree with a 5% interest rate.

finally, each day that passes amounts to about a 1cent change in the total amt at stake)

Barron
Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM

lets get this thread back on track now that my bet w/ Mr. Now is in losing position by a few cents (still long way till december though)

next idea: long yen vs. dollar...this long term idea i think has reached a very attractive point. first the political issues. shinzo abe's govt has been suffering curruption, defection, suicides as a result of scandals. i believe there is room for constructive improvement on this front (very low conviction due to lack of expertise in this area)

next, we have the increased shareholder activism in a very traditionally pro management culture. the latter culture, however, isn't backed by business provisions since shareholders have the most power in japan than in (im pretty sure) any other country. they can directly vote on boards, executive pay and they have recently started to break away from their stoic following of management.

this makes japanese companies more attractive as shareholders get a bigger say in how they are run and a better opportunity to oust ineffective management. large shareholders have said they will vote to oust managers/boards that fail to reach a return on equity of 8% for any 3 year period.

now onto economics. then yen is at a very low point of about 123 to the dollar. this low yen (and the fact that it has been so low for so long) has contributed to the yen current account surplus and capital account deficit. locals sell the yen to gain higher returns elsewhere in both a carry trade (earning higher risk free rates of return) and as overall investments (in companies & other country's risky assets).

economic investment isn't as large as they can get if real investment in japan responds to the low yen. instead, income transfers jumped 41.7% in april to account for about 3 times the japanese surplus in goods and services. this is partly a direct result of japanese yen weakness (so income in yen terms from foreign investments become larger) and partly a result of the low interest rates available at home (so yield seekers invest elsewhere to gain while the yen stays low and calm). so if real investment in japan increases, the capital account would start to show larger foreign flows into japan. the yen is at a level where these real economic flows are becoming very attractive.

these can overwhelm carry traders & other "hot money."

right now, the market seems to think that the income transfer part of the CA is a small factor & that interest rate differentials are the tradable info. as long as JGBs stay low and the BOJ doesn't push up rates (to try to make sure deflation doesn't again rear its head), the yen will stay low.

it isn't likely to get much lower. in order for this to happen, the BOJ would have to actively start to intervene in the market, or the rate of flows out of japan would have to increase beyond the recent historical rate.

a rate of 125-135 would make real economic investments extremely attractive from a foreign standpoint and make japanese companies even cheaper than they are.

this ties back to the shareholder activism as the companies are less tied to management and shares are held more by hedge fund and foreign investors (this makes comapny takeovers less troublesome & faster so that investors could respond quicker to further drops in the yen).

other aspects of this trade include the fact that japan is a net importer of commodities, the fact that a large part of the current surplus comes from chinese & other asian countries' demand for japanese goods, and the fact that US dollar is fundamentally weak overall but bouyed vs. the yen as a result of higher relative yeilds (though not as much as AUS or NZD).

so i don't think the yen is likely to drop further, and the way these things tend to unwind, it would prove to be extremely profitable and fast. the last time the carry trade unwound, the yen popped from somewhere north of 160 to the dollar, down to 120 or so in VERY short order. a comparable drop would put us at a yen level of 90 vs. the 123 it is currently trading at (different time period obviously but it's an example of how the carry trade can unwind).

now i'm not saying the yen would jump to 90, but even a move to 110, or 105, or 100 would be a very nice profit. the risk here is fairly low as no likely (or even unlikely event) could push the yen much lower. further, even if it DID occur (and yen moved down to 135 or something), fundamental flows would likely see that as huge buying opportunities (depending on the event that caused the drop)

overall, i'd be very bullish the yen right now and i'd put the overall signal at about +80%

so thats it, any thoughts? questions? comments?

thanks,
Barron
Old 07-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Another idea (from reading the economist) is to start thinking about CDX.

this is a crossover credit default swap index (BAA or the credit grade on the boarder between investment grade and junk) in based on North american & emerging mkt companies(though i forget the composition. you can, however, pick a more specific index from the many they have etc.)

in june, spreads blew out a bit to close to 150-200 bps above treasuries. they got as low as 100bps above treasuries before the february mkt hiccup (and they then jumped to over 200).

i have to check but if they've come back down to anywhere near 100bps i'd look to start a short at a signal of -20% to -50% depending on how close to 100bps the index CDSs are trading above treasuries.

for those that aren't 100% clear, a CDS is a derivative that pays when an underlying instidution default's on ints debt. so then economic growth is good or demand for these instruments is high, these spreads tend to come in. when risk aversion increases or when underlying institution (typicaly company) balance sheets are at risk, they should blow out.

this is another one of those things where the upside is huge and the downside is small b/c they can't reasonably be priced below 100bps above treasuries since that is just ludicrous pricing and indicates irrational demand for them (possibly for hedging reasons for certain hedge funds/private equity groups)

so i'd want to short the spreads here at near 100bps above treasuries. the lower the spread the stronger my signal.

Barron
Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

for those that aren't 100% clear, a CDS is a derivative that pays when an underlying instidution default's on ints debt. so then economic growth is good or demand for these instruments is high, these spreads tend to come in. when risk aversion increases or when underlying institution (typicaly company) balance sheets are at risk, they should blow out.

[/ QUOTE ]

when times are tough benchmark spreads increase; bidding interest may or may not cancel out this change.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 PM

Sorry didn't read all your reasoning for gold/silver spread, but isn't a crack spread a better arbitrage strategy. (assuming if the spread still exist) Personally, if I am taking risk premium returns, I would look into premiums provided by futures backwardations. Also, don't forget that yield curve is inverted between 6mo and 2 yr.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry didn't read all your reasoning for gold/silver spread, but isn't a crack spread a better arbitrage strategy. (assuming if the spread still exist)

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't that refer to oil vs. heating oil or other products chemically 'cracked' from the initial 'dirty' product?

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, if I am taking risk premium returns, I would look into premiums provided by futures backwardations.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not really interested in risk premia. i want to express a specific macro view in the gold/silver futures market for alpha generation purposes.

historically, there have been returns from holding backwardated futures contracts till the next near by and rolling it over. i'm not as well versed in this area though so i don't want to think about that specifically as a macro based trade idea.

if youw ant though, we can discuss your expectations of capturing the 'backwardation premium' into the future and how it relates to different commodities. that'd be an interesting discussion as well, but for trade ideas, i wanna stick with macro views expressed as trades.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't forget that yield curve is inverted between 6mo and 2 yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but that is i think a mistake and there are likely opportunities there as well. haven't outlined those yet here though so that is something i'll think about and get back.

thanks,
Barron
Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 AM

buy CROX and ICE. these stocks are close to breaking out and if the market continues to rally, these stocks will lead.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry didn't read all your reasoning for gold/silver spread, but isn't a crack spread a better arbitrage strategy. (assuming if the spread still exist) Personally, if I am taking risk premium returns, I would look into premiums provided by futures backwardations. Also, don't forget that yield curve is inverted between 6mo and 2 yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

you will lose your stack on the roll. not to mention you probalbyd ont have the cpaital to put on a perfect crack spread (due to underlying notionals)
Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you will lose your stack on the roll. not to mention you probalbyd ont have the cpaital to put on a perfect crack spread (due to underlying notionals)

[/ QUOTE ]

forget the "perfect" crack spread for a second.

to execute 1 crack spread you just need the margin on 1 long contract and 1 short contract and the ability to weather a small storm, right?

Barron
Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 PM

refinery ratios, which have a fundamental basis, are 5 barrels of crude = 3 barrels of gas + 2 barrels of heating oil.

you can put on 1-1 crack spreads, although i think these are more speculative than anything.