Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Holes in you game........

I did not realize what a big mistake I have been making until a 2+2er showed me. I have been shuting the door on profit or tourney chips by playing to fast. If I hit a flop good I bet it, I have been so scared of being run down later in the hand I never let anyone bet for me. Its funny I saw my VB as being aggresive and giving me an idea where I was in the hand but never though about it being a huge leak. I will change for the better now but Its easy to be blinded by your ego. What leaks have you had and then one day said wow I cant believe I have been playin like that?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Holes in you game........

im working really hard on not over playing one pair hands even over pairs and tptk. its my biggest problem esp oop. I play in a home game with complete lagtards and was wondering why JJ was no good on a 567 flop against them. major improvements but i have a long way to go.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 AM

This really depends on your opponents and who had the lead preflop. I was in a game last night where one of the players remarked that I "stab at every pot". First of all, that was a hasty generalization. Secondly, the table was too passive, so I was stabbing a bit, but he was also counting some legitimate bets. If you want to stab at pots you have to "stab" with the hand sometimes too.

In a live MTT recently I was projecting a very loose image. I misread my opponent's strength and went all-in with top set. Fortunately he misread mine too. He called with middle pair - convinced I was bluffing.

So my advice would be balance the times when you let them bet it (best saved for LAGtards and other loose players) and when you lead out (e.g. if you like to c-bet, then you should almost always bet when you actually flop a hand unless you are way ahead).
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 AM

mine is that if i flopped trips i keep betting them but either i have a bad kicker or my opponent has full house. trying to get out of this expensive habbit. i think it's more wise to check it down at most in these situations.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 AM

I wouldn't check it down, but I wouldn't try to build a huge pot either. Make small bets and see if anyone plays back. Sometimes you'll be against someone who is drawing. Other times you may fill up and suck out on someone who started with a better kicker. Don't bet the river unless you know you are ahead, but don't fold unless you know you are beat. Winning small to medium pots like this is nice.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM

OK...my biggest hole is easily tilt.
2nd biggest hole is my ADD.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 PM

patience is my biggest problem...especially if I'm getting sucked out on often. I tend to try and force hands which always get beat and that just exacerbates the problem. I try and take a step back, play nutty tight for a round or so, and rethink my game. That can't work for long in a tourny tho as the blinds catch up to ya.

It's a game of patience and recognizing opportunities for sure.