Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Preflop raises in NL games

If you only raise with JJ-AA, just how much pf raising are you doing per session? I'll bet not much. And yeah, that's a pretty big leak. You are missing out on the power of the continuation bet not to mention being so readable even a novice can figure you out.

If you started open-raising with those hands and stop calling raises with AQ and KQ and start re-raising with AK (and AA-QQ), you will see an immediate improvement in your results.

Perhaps you have trouble playing preflop when your hand doesn't hit. That could be another leak. Learn to love the continuation bet. Learn to read the other players and play aggressively to bet them out of pots when you have A high.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM

If it's weak raise it's not necessarily a mistake to reraise with AQ off or suited. You just need to know the player....
Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 AM

When I'm under the gun, I will always raise it with AQ, AK. But only sometimes with KQ, AJ, as it depends on how the table is playing. With position, these hands play extremely well, as you can take down the pot with continuation bets. I don't play JJ very aggressively (as in I probably won't 3 bet, unless its a very lag player) cuz its easily beaten in a full ring game.