Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Preflop raises in NL games

I am not crazy about AK AQ QK raises preflop, I more raise with JJ-AA. Is it a big mistake to not raise as often with big offsuits? Should I be more aggresive pre with AK AQ QK or is it ok if you are not big on raising those hands? Is this a big leak? I hope to nail them on the flop with AK AQ QK. I know I have to mix it up some. thoughts Of coarse the less players the more I will push with the 3 hands.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Preflop raises in NL games

No offense, but from your other post about u being better than most players and then saying that you don't raise with AK, AQ and KQ... gives me the impression that you don't grasp the fundamentals of preflop play too well just yet.

AK, AQ, KQ do not play well in big multiway pots and u want to raise to thin the field and give yourself a chance to win preflop as well. It also loosens up your image so you will get action on your bigger hands. If you only raise JJ-AA, only idiots will play with you.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Thats fine, I am just honest about my game where most people let their pride get in the way. I did not say I dont raise with it, just I not crazy about it. You response is good because if I cant take critizism and better myself then I will never better myself as to have an advantage over other people. I do know why we raise preflop.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:55 PM

I raise when im first to open, but i cant stand people in cash games that reraise with AQ off...what are you hoping to make thats gonna take down a big pot?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise when im first to open, but i cant stand people in cash games that reraise with AQ off...what are you hoping to make thats gonna take down a big pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one, if you get the guy to fold you don't have to -make- anything to win the pot. And if you're called, the 3 bet before the flop gave you a lot of fold equity, since the other person in the hand is likely putting you on a big hand.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People may be raising for reasons that you do not yet understand. They may be trying to get position by forcing out later players. They could be trying to isolate a weak player to push them out later. They could be reraising an aggressive player who plays wide range of hands...or trying to define the original raiser's hand to prevent losing a big pot later in the hand.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it protects your big pairs and gives them more value man, not to mention taking it down often PF or on the flop.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In some circumstances, I may fold AQ to a PFR (eg, vs a tight opponent) and in others I will re-raise AQ to a PFR (eg, vs a very aggressive opponent).

When I re-raise, epsecially when in position, it is for value. My opponent is raising way more than AK+, TT+ (Q9s? JTo? 56s, etc.) so I will happily put more chips into the pot in those circumstances.

I hate calling with AQ against a PFR... I think that is a far worse play than folding/re-raising a lot of spots with AQ. If you're ahead of villain's (weighted) range, you should re-raise. If you're behind, you should fold.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it protects your big pairs and gives them more value man, not to mention taking it down often PF or on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasnt talking bout big pairs, just AJ or AQ. And yeh, I know about isolation but I play at limits where I think its more of just "OOOo I have TWO big cards...raise" The idea of equity is very true, I guess i just wasnt thinking about that. I got alot of post flop play to work on in my game, cuz i hate when you have a vunerable hand like AQ and flop a Q and a guys comin at you with the betting from outta position.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what are you hoping to make thats gonna take down a big pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet.