Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Does everyone who plays poker now think they can go pro?

[ QUOTE ]
I think a fair number of childless people could "go pro", if the goal is to make $12/hour after tax, and they can consume at a rate similar to other people making that wage with no benefits, and they have a good bankroll that they don't touch. Especially if (again, like many low-wage folks) they have a second part-time job. But even this goal requires being pretty intelligent and doing what most would consider a ridiculous amount of study.

Basically, it would help to be someone with the analytical capacity to be in a number of $50K career jobs, but who has for whatever reason forgone this path and is now allocating productive time between the intellectual rewards of poker and various similar-paying but boring and demeaning jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did it because they drug test all the 50k jobs and i want to do drugs
Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 AM

Allllllll the time,, it annoys me so friggn much. but then again,, they play bc/ they think they are good so you don't just make money from them, you make money from them bc/ they think they are good!

It's hard not just telling them thay they actually suck. But you might just convince them and then they won't play anymore
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM

It's all a matter of perspective. I consider myself a competent winning player, but there are many, many players that would eat me for breakfast. However, I play games that I can consistently beat that are within my bankroll. When it's time, I will move up. I have no delusions of being on the WPT. Though, last night I had an ATM at my table who was planning to play in the WSOP this year...gotta love 'em. People think that when they learn the basics, play for a little while showing some profit, and make a couple bluffs that they are in the big leagues.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM

The reality is that most people have no idea what it takes to be a pro. I play with a group of guys that actually think they have what it takes. yet things like BR managment, and folding 53o utg are unknowns to them.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I have a $1k bankroll, now I will go pro"

[/ QUOTE ]
This is priceless.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 PM

people who claim to know everything about poker reveal that they know nothing.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 PM

FACT: reading books + reading this site does NOT assure skill.

that is all.

Barron
Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 AM

I just love friends who say they think they could make enough money for a living, then wonder why i fold J10 suited from the sb to a raise.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 PM

I'll weigh in by saying that "going pro" is about far more than your card skills. As someone who was semi-demi-pro while in school (PIZZA MOBNIES!), I can assure you that part of why I won was because playing poker was fun. However, when it became a JOB, a lot of the fun left, and my play declined precipitously, the results following soon thereafter.

Plus, I think anyone who thinks that going pro at mid stakes or lower is a good idea right now is an idiot, for the simple reason that even if it works, you won't make a ton, and who knows how longs the games will remain beatable. And when you have to stop, that might be an awkward job interview when they ask why there is nothing on your resume since 2005.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 PM

I think the only way I could ever go pro is to be so independently wealthy that it wouldn't matter. I could never deal with the swings and knowing that I could jeopardize myself of my family. I love poker, and take it seriously, but I like it as a supplement to my regular salary. Ofcourse, the bigger the supplement the better!