Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Does everyone who plays poker now think they can go pro?

I consider myself better than most around here but I dont live near Vegas either. I get so tired of everyone who plays now think they are the best around. These people that say this, do not read books or look at sites like this, keep books or ask advice on the way they play their hand. It amazes me. Do you here this kind of crap to?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Does everyone who plays poker now think they can go pro?

I have some friends who play poker, some are even winning a good amount of money (not enough to live of). No one thinks to go pro... but it's always funny to read those "I have a $1k bankroll, now I will go pro" threads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Everybody thinks they're good in the beginning when they know just a bit more than people that know nothing. They think they are gifted and blame it on luck when they push all in with KQ against AK and lose. They lose all of their money and blame it on the site, bad luck, or suck outs. They are usually the people that critique others because they want to show how good they are...when usually good players won't say a word because they want their opponent to keep making the same mistakes. These people go bust...but don't get it.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 PM

All the time.

b
Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Ha, i have friends like this. 95% of players think they are good, but onlt like 5% really are. My friends refuse to read books because they say that you cannot learn how to play from someone else since every hand plays out differently. HA! They also refuse to sign up for this site despite me telling them to numerous times. Bottom line though, if everyone knew how bad or good they really were, bad players would drop out and all that would be left is the pros. Where would profit be in that?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:42 PM

I have a friend who has been playing online for nearly 2 years...In that 2 year time he has had maybe 3 or 4 winning months(not including RB or bonuses)..Well over the winter he thought he was going to lose his job and wanted to know if he could make it on only poker...He went as far as writing up a plan for when and how long he would play each day...This friend is married with 4 kids...
Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 PM

I'm no expert and only play up to 4/8 LHE live, but from what I've heard form real full time players, most wouldn't last or handle the stress and swings.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who has been playing online for nearly 2 years...In that 2 year time he has had maybe 3 or 4 winning months(not including RB or bonuses)..Well over the winter he thought he was going to lose his job and wanted to know if he could make it on only poker...He went as far as writing up a plan for when and how long he would play each day...This friend is married with 4 kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

The saddest part of this story is the part with him being married with four kids and thinking he can support himself with online poker with so few winning months, only surviving on rb and bonuses.

Incredible. Even if I could, I wouldn't make poker a full time job. The Psychology of Poker taught me that much. Plus, the absolute stress would probably do me in and not make this game fun anymore.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 PM

I think a fair number of childless people could "go pro", if the goal is to make $12/hour after tax, and they can consume at a rate similar to other people making that wage with no benefits, and they have a good bankroll that they don't touch. Especially if (again, like many low-wage folks) they have a second part-time job. But even this goal requires being pretty intelligent and doing what most would consider a ridiculous amount of study.

Basically, it would help to be someone with the analytical capacity to be in a number of $50K career jobs, but who has for whatever reason forgone this path and is now allocating productive time between the intellectual rewards of poker and various similar-paying but boring and demeaning jobs.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM

I love it when I hear someone talking like this. More monnnies for me.