Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Default I am still confused if I should of called..........

I have a super tight image. One guy is a maniac going all in with any Ace rag and even did it with 10-8 off and won every time. I have 12k, maniac has a huge pile. My first hand is 30-40 mins in. Blinds 200-400,I get P10s and preflop 3 people call I raise it 1k and the maniac calls on button everyone else folds. Great Im OOP with a maniac heads up. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]flop 7 J J I pause half sec and throw out 2k. He says how many chips does he have and dealer says 10k. He asked dealer again. pauses and goes all in. I muck. I did not feel with my image he would come over the top of me. thoughts, laughs, I can take it.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: I am still confused if I should of called..........

Buy-in? Anyhow, a lot of pocket pairs worse than Ts are in his range here. If it were me, I'd probably call.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Yea the fact he asked twice and then made the move makes me think he was weaker than me.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 AM

You also stated that you thought he wouldn't make a play because of your image. Your thinking is entirely backwards. Because of your tight image, he should make a play.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 AM

First your raise size should reflect the limpers. I really dont think tens are a good hand to play many ways, without deep stacks to get set odds. Your M is 20, so shoving preflop is probably not ideal, certainly is possible, and was my first inclination. Ok so you have 200-400, +3x400 in the pot 1800. I probably would want to bet about 2400 here (3x blind + 3x limper = 6BB bet). Now we check our stack, can we bet 2400 preflop, and have another bullet for the flop, and also keep a stack if we dont feel so good ? yes. Ok so 2400ish preflop.

Now the flop comes, given your preflop raise and the money in the pot, a 2k bet from you doesnt seem too bad imho, although again, we could probably shove here.

Now as to your question, hard spot, I probably wouldnt be in the spot, I might have raised more preflop, and either not had the caller, or if he did call, I might suspect he does have good cards. On the JJ7 flop, If he had a jack, I think he would just call the bet, and milk you for more on the turn or river. My gut says this is AK or AQ hoping you fold your AK or AQ, as he probably thinks you would check your jack to let him catch up if you had one.

Long story short, in this type of spot, I think he is really quite sure you just dont have a jack, and knows you probably cant call an all in without a jack. This same play he would make if he had QQ-AA, but AK and AQ are just too likely for me, so I probably call it.

Out of Position, with a pocket pair, on a flop that likely missed everyone, I think there is fair debate as to wether you bet your pair, or check call with it. In this spot against a really aggressive maniac, I think check calling provides more value.

One problem with betting is remember one good rule, before you make a bet, be sure you know what you will do if you are raised, and then adjust your betsize accordingly. If you know you will fold to a reraise, maybe put less chips in or more chips in to get maximal fold equity from your hand, if you know you will be calling any reraise, maybe put less chips in and hope for a 3bet, or put more chips in and hope to maximize value (Opponent dependant)...

Here I think you bet without knowing what you would do if pushed on.

Just my thoughts
Old 03-16-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the view, great way to see the hand I agree. I guess him being a maniac cheesed me off and I thought I would move on him but thats stupid on my part. I wanted to be the one to shut him down.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 AM

Maniacs, generally, aren't looking for any resistance so if you shove over the top of him it might get him to back away.

I would probably shove here and if he happens to bust me then so what! But if the table allows him time and time again to just take their chips then bye bye rest of the table.