Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 PM

Default from 5/10 to 10/20 t o15/30

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been playing poker seriously for over a year now. I live outside of Chicago, so the live card room scene is not that great. I have been to Tunica 2xs and Vegas 3xs in the last year. I play mostly NL...the limit I have played has been 5/10 and I have had a hard time adapting.

I realize that you need bad players making bad calls for you to profit in poker. But every single hand in 5/10 it seems has 4 people going to showdown...at least 3. So, if you get a hand, say JJ, and raise...get 3 callers...and dont get a J, now what? or even if you flop trips and there is 2 to a flush or straihgt, its been my experience that 1 if not 2-3 people will chase whatever the hole way and usually get lucky. It drives me NUTS

I almost jumped into a 10/20 game at the Mirage last week in Vegas, to see if people would lay down some crap(or atleast 1/2 the table will) Does it make a difference, or at any lower stake do people just call and call and call.

My motto is, you want 2 or 3 bad players at every table, not 6 in every pot
Old 01-30-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: from 5/10 to 10/20 t o15/30

No offense, but you don't have a clue about limit HE. It's clear from your post that you have a NL background and you are approaching limit from the same perspective. Hands in limit frequently go to showdown and often many of the people who make it to the river are right to get that far (excluding their usually attrocious preflop calls and cold-calls).

Read Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones to get some good basic guidelines and then read and reread often Small Stakes Hold Em. It basically will show you how to take advantage of the bad players, especially when there are many seeing the flop.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Like you said, you want people to make bad calls. That makes you profit.

Do you have Small Stakes Hold'em? If not, that would help. If so, take another look, and take courage. If it weren't for bad beats, people wouldn't play the game.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 AM

You do make a valid point. If your point is that a full ring game with two poor players in it can be easier to play in(possibly better) than a full ring game with five or six poor players.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM

You just need to adjust your starting hands. When 1 pair doesnt win you can pretty much play JJ like 22. These loose passive games are incredibly profitable. JTs is a better hand than AQo etc. You just have to draw to more than 1 pair and you ll crush the game since most people go too far with weak hands.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JTs is a better hand than AQo etc

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. AQo still has more equity in the general case.

Similar case: how many opponents would you like when you have AA? Most people will say 1 or 2. Wrong. You want 9.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Similar case: how many opponents would you like when you have AA? Most people will say 1 or 2. Wrong. You want 9.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I tell my friends this, they think I'm crazy. However, it is absolutely correct to think this way.

Welcome people who try to chase you down (at least PF when you have a monster hand). They are getting the worst of it.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:31 AM

your motto is wrong

listen to this and own it: more bad players make you a bigger winner.

'dig and be dug in return'
Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 AM

Ok, yes, I am more of a NL player..but all my experience in Limit has been 5/10. I do understand bad players = profit. I have read Hold Em Poker For Advanced Players and Jennifer Harmon's Limit section in SSII.

But, all the experience I have seen, there is atleast 2 people per hand playing K5 or Q6os or even J4 suited. In addition to those 2 people, there is a decent player with a reaonable hand, and someone else.

So, I get say JJ in mid position with 1 limper in front and make it 2 bets...and get a caller behind, big blind calls and limper calls. Flop is Q 5 9 2 suited....ya know 1 of these donks has A JUNK QUEEN. They call raises with any picture cards. So how do you defend it? Obviously 4 handed you gotta throw the jacks away to a bet. And if they hae 1 of the 2 suited cards...there in.

I realize you need bad players...but 2-3 in EVERY POT is insane. you cant put them on a hand, its impossibe..they play K3 like TT, or a made straight. There iditos and there everywhere.

I played a 5/10 game in Indiana last month..had 66 and raised from late position. BB called with Q2 OS. Flop comes Q66...I bet he calls. Turn and river is both Q's..I lose with Quads to bigger Quads. But WHy would he call a raised pot with Q2 OS??????

The card room here in Joliet just reopened, and I am going there now to try the 10/20.

Basically..Im asking at what levels, do people start repecting raises? Making bad calls is fine...but 4 people making MISERABLE CALLS AND CATCHING....it sucks
Old 02-01-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, yes, I am more of a NL player..but all my experience in Limit has been 5/10. I do understand bad players = profit. I have read Hold Em Poker For Advanced Players and Jennifer Harmon's Limit section in SSII.

But, all the experience I have seen, there is atleast 2 people per hand playing K5 or Q6os or even J4 suited. In addition to those 2 people, there is a decent player with a reaonable hand, and someone else.

So, I get say JJ in mid position with 1 limper in front and make it 2 bets...and get a caller behind, big blind calls and limper calls. Flop is Q 5 9 2 suited....ya know 1 of these donks has A JUNK QUEEN. They call raises with any picture cards. So how do you defend it? Obviously 4 handed you gotta throw the jacks away to a bet. And if they hae 1 of the 2 suited cards...there in.

I realize you need bad players...but 2-3 in EVERY POT is insane. you cant put them on a hand, its impossibe..they play K3 like TT, or a made straight. There iditos and there everywhere.

I played a 5/10 game in Indiana last month..had 66 and raised from late position. BB called with Q2 OS. Flop comes Q66...I bet he calls. Turn and river is both Q's..I lose with Quads to bigger Quads. But WHy would he call a raised pot with Q2 OS??????

The card room here in Joliet just reopened, and I am going there now to try the 10/20.

Basically..Im asking at what levels, do people start repecting raises? Making bad calls is fine...but 4 people making MISERABLE CALLS AND CATCHING....it sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

you're an idiot. you want this in every game. lol@ respecting raises.