Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Multi-platform games - 3 System Showdown

One of the biggest issues facing gamers will be which of the 3 systems to buy multi-platform games for. For some games it will be easy, due to extra features and such, and for others more difficult.

In this thread, we can discuss various multi-platform games and the pros and cons of buying them for the varying systems.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Call of Duty 3

First Up: Call of Duty 3 by Activision.

This is a WW2 FPS Game. You are a soldier in battle, using guns and grenades to fight your way to victory.

A showdown from joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/06/jo...all-of-duty-3/

Why Wii: As will be the theme in these showdowns: control, control, control.

Quote from the above article:

"Finally, we were taken into the Wii dungeon and handed a nunchuck, a Wii-mote and told to enjoy. Holy disorientation, Batman! It was like playing a totally different game. The Wii-mote points, aims and fires your gun, spins your character around and also handles reloading through an upward flick of the wrist. The nunchuck moves you around via the thumbstick and lets you toss grenades with a throwing motion. You can also flick it to the left or right to change weapons. You would accuse us of drinking and Wii-ing if you had seen our first two tries at the game, spinning in place and lurching around like Mel Gibson on a Malibu highway. Once we got things under control however, it was a lot more enjoyable playing the Wii version."

Why 360: Great graphics and awesome multiplayer

Why PS3: Also great graphics on par with 360 and makes slight use of SIXAXIS to give it a little more control feel than 360

Their conclusion:

"Summing up our day at war: the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are graphically different from each other, but they both look and feel extremely similar to CoD2. The real difference is in the tweaks to the gameplay. The multiplayer on the 360 was leaps and bounds ahead of the last game, while the Wii really put the game in your hands with their controller. Which one is the best value? If you want multiplayer, you'll have to get the Xbox 360 or PS3 versions, because it won't be supported on the Wii. But if you want innovative gameplay, get the Wii and shake your hands in the air like you just don't care."
Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Madden 2007

Madden 2007 is the latest in one of the most popular series of all time. This game sells consoles, so if one of the versions ends up being a clear winner, that will greatly help that console sell.

I couldn't find a showdown for this anywhere.

Why Wii: EA dedicated an entire team and studio for many months to the control scheme for the Wii version of M'07. They took their controls to focus groups and worked and reworked to get a scheme that was intuitive, fun and which consumers will respond to. To snap the ball, u pull back on the remote; to throw it, u make a throwing motion: a fast movement = bullet pass while a slow motion = lob. When running, you can stiff arm by moving wiimote to left or right.

In addition, the Wii version gets 3 exclusive multiplayer games:

2v2: schoolyard ball complete with 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi... count.

YAC: Yards after catch; basically 3v1 and offense gets points for catching ball and getting lots of yards after the catch while defenders get points for intercepting, blocking, tackling.

Kicking: A field goal kicking game

Why 360/PS3: Graphics will be better and there is online functionality, which the Wii 07 lacks

conclusion: if online play is important to you, then get it for 360 (or PS3 assuming it has online play); if control and playing with people in same room with you is more important, then get it for the Wii

Madden 08 will feature online for all 3 versions, so that advantage will go away
Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Multi-platform games - 3 System Showdown

I think you should get out of the habit of making a post and then repeatedly replying to yourself.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM

As you can tell, at this point the main difference between PS360 and Wii is graphics and control and online play.

Graphics:

PS3 and 360 are hi-definition. They are graphics powerhouses running in 1080 resolution. Simply put, they look beautiful and will only get better.

Wii runs at 480p widescreen; in other words, DVD quality. The games will look better than xbox/gamecube/ps2, but will lack in comparison to PS360 games. The 2nd/3rd generation titles will start to compare better with 1st gen 360 games, but the 360 and PS3 will continue to pull away and look far better than the Wii.

Control:

360 has your standard controls that you are used to from the last generation. It is a good controller, though, by standard controller standards.

PS3 has the standard controls (minus rumble) but they have a SIXAXIS feature in the controller that detects tilt and up/down and forward/back. This allows you to drive by tilting the controller, or check a hockey opponent by jerking controller toward them.

The Wiimote is a full-featured motion-sensing controller that puts motion-sensing front and center. It detects everything the PS3 SIXAXIS does, as well as having accelerometers and knowing how far the wiimote is from the tv (sensor bar) and as well as allowing the wiimote to be pointed at the tv (sensor bar) to be used as a 3-d mouse.

Additionally, there is a nunchuk attachement that has an analog stick for movement. However, this nunchuck ALSO has tilt/movement control and accelerometers, so it by itself has more motion sensing than the SIXAXIS. It is lacking the pointing functionality of the wiimote (so no holding and pointing 2 guns yet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

The wiimote allows you to emulate the keyboard/mouse combo for FPS.

Online Play: As of now, 360 is online and active and xbox live is a good service, tho it costs $50/year. PS3 and Wii will be free for online and should rival xbox live, tho at least the Wii won't be fully online like Live for online gaming until March or so. So this advantage goes to PS360 for now, but may be about even after March.

So long term, it will come down to Graphics vs Gameplay. We'll see how PS3 and 360 differentiate themselves in terms of graphics and we'll see just how much better the SIXAXIS and wiimote will or will not be than standard controllers. The good news is that with improvements in processing and graphics as well as innovations in controls, the future is bright for gaming and gamers will have more choice than ever before.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 PM

CoD: Unsure. I'll have to demo it with the controls & weigh the graphics of each system. I won't play it online so it won't matter.
Madden: Online, PS3.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should get out of the habit of making a post and then repeatedly replying to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's adding new and different content with each thread, I think it's fine. yeah it's kind of bloggy, but whatever he has a lot of info he wants to share, and keeping it in organized threads is a good idea.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 AM

Just rented this game the other day for my PS3 and loved it. I stayed away from it during release because I wasn't too sure. I love FPS and own one of Call of Duty's for my Mac. I'm regretting now my hesitation. This game is great. The graphics are really phenomenal, much better than I had expected them to be. I'm playing on Hard and it really truly is. Some games don't seem like it but CoD is. Sometimes the the difficulty level doesn't seem consistent however and I get stuck in one area for a while. I love the smoke grenades. They are actually very realistic and add a great dimension to the game. My biggest peeve is the fact that if I quit and want to start again I am forced to watch the cut scene from 20 minutes ago and cannot skip through it.

A big plus is since it was a release game I got to pick it up cheaply from the store. I have high hopes now for Call of Duty 4. Highly recommend this game.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:57 AM

I think Xbox360 usually has the best multiplatform games...

PS3 is a disaster and developers don't try hard enough with Wii.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Xbox360 usually has the best multiplatform games...

PS3 is a disaster and developers don't try hard enough with Wii.

[/ QUOTE ]

360 does better on sports games, COD is actually really good on the PS3, Oblivion arguably looks better on the PS3, and the Wii is trying for a completely different market. I'm not saying the PS3 is great, because it's not, but you can't kid yourself saying that the 360 is the end all be all of next gen gaming. It definitely has its faults and while the library of games is big, I feel there isn't enough variety. I'm hoping for the best for both consoles since they are targeting my market and I have both. TBH I'm not sold on the Wii because there are very few games I would play on it besides Smash Bros.