Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Tyranny in AC land

[ QUOTE ]
So the basic AC answer is: we're [censored] if someone does it, and nothing is stoping that person. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the operative word is "if." You're assuming a very, very big if. I mean, what happens if the president, congress and supreme court get together one day and decide to order the US military to start bombing all the US citizens? What's stopping them?

EDIT: I'll throw in a poker example. What happens if you start running bad for the next three years? No strategy can guarantee a win. What's stopping you from going broke?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the basic AC answer is: we're [censored] if someone does it, and nothing is stoping that person. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the operative word is "if." You're assuming a very, very big if. I mean, what happens if the president, congress and supreme court get together one day and decide to order the US military to start bombing all the US citizens? What's stopping them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's a very large assumption. I was just seeing if there was some hypothetical block to a person enslaving everyone in AC world. Apparentely there isn't. (Not that I'm claiming there really is now, either) Just that it'd be harder to convince all three branches of government than it would be for one person to unilaterally decide.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, what would happen under statism if someone amasses 51% of the known wealth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's a good thing no matter what. I just think it'd be easier to amass that much wealth under AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

51% of the wealth on earth? Are you freaking kidding me? The Gross World Product is around 60 trillion dollars. Bill Gates is worth, what 60 billion? 1/10 of 1%!!! You think someone will be able to be becomes 500x as rich?

Also, as I pointed out earlier, offense is tougher than defense. 51% of the resources doesn't guarantee victory in war. (See: UK v. US, 1776, e.g.).

I will note that during the Cold War, two nations had well over half of the world's military resources and came to the brink of nuclear annihilation on several occasions. Ah, statism!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, what would happen under statism if someone amasses 51% of the known wealth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's a good thing no matter what. I just think it'd be easier to amass that much wealth under AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong. Very wrong.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that there might possibly be some other outcome? Or is every country in the world currently at war with every other country?

[/ QUOTE ] The number of people killed by violence in inter-state violence historically is more than 100 times the ammount of people killed intra-state historically because states, unlike individuals, must try and co-exist under the conditions of anarchy. And people right now use trillions of $ worth of resources a year on defense/offense because of the fear and violence that living in anarchy (the world system) causes.

I'm honestly scared that you think the solution to our problems is to have individuals to live in the awful and paranoia inducing system that states must live in.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:35 PM

It actually does not need to be one person.

It could be a cartel consisting of 25 companies with a total of 100,000 employess that amass half of the wealth.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The number of people killed by violence in inter-state violence historically is more than 100 times the ammount of people killed intra-state historically.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not helping.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that there might possibly be some other outcome? Or is every country in the world currently at war with every other country?

[/ QUOTE ] The number of people killed by violence in inter-state violence historically is more than 100 times the ammount of people killed intra-state historically. And people right now use trillions of $ worth of resources a year on defense/offense because of the fear and violence that living in anarchy (the world system) causes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would contend that the ability of states to pass off the costs of maintaining armies while to their citizens while reaping all the benefits for those in positions of power is what allows for such large scale violence.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would cost too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell my army they get a cut of whatever they conquer and pillage. Now it costs me very little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't they just conquer and pillage on their own and keep it all for themselves? They're giving you the bulk in exchange for what?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just seeing if there was some hypothetical block to a person enslaving everyone in AC world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Economic inefficiency. A slave only works hard enough not to get whipped, and you still have to provide him with adequate resources to stay alive and functional. It would be like buying one of those ungodly expensive word processors from the early eighties today; what's the point?

I have no idea why you believe it is of any degree of considerable likelihood that one person in over 6.5 billion will accumulate over half the wealth. The only way that can happen is global totalitarianism, and ACism intends to head in the diametrically opposite direction.